Newlywed accused of pushing husband off cliff discussed killing parents, prosecutors say

Jordan Linn Graham will be charged with first-degree murder, second-degree murder and making a false statement about the death of Cody Lee Johnson.

Jordan Linn Graham will be charged with first-degree murder, second-degree murder and making a false statement about the death of Cody Lee Johnson.

A Montana woman accused of pushing her husband off a cliff just days after their June wedding also spoke of killing her mother and stepfather, prosecutors allege in new court documents.

22-year-old Jordan Graham is accused of deliberately pushing her new husband, 25-year-old Cody Johnson, to his death after they got into an argument while hiking. The couple had been married for eight days.

Reuters reports that prosecutors say in court filings in the U.S. District Court in Missoula they plan to produce evidence Graham had also talked about killing her mother and stepfather about five weeks before her wedding.

They claim these remarks would be used to "negate innocent intent and demonstrate the likelihood that the defendant did an act with the requisite intent in the charged case," according to legal documents filed late on Monday.

In legal filings Tuesday, prosecutors also claim to have evidence to back up their theory that a cloth found near Johnson’s body may have been used to blindfold him. They say an FBI forensic scientist who tested the cloth found human hair embedded in it.

Charging documents suggest Graham was having second thoughts about getting married around the time her husband's body was discovered.

Graham’s attorneys claim Johnson’s death was an accident. She told an FBI agent that she and her husband had been arguing on July 7 as they walked in the Loop Trail area of the park.

At one point, she turned to walk away, but Johnson grabbed her arm, she said. She turned around, removed his hand from her arm and "due to her anger, she pushed Johnson with both hands in the back, and as a result, he fell face first off the cliff," an affidavit states.

Johnson was reported missing on July 8 when he failed to show up for work. Graham later reported that she had spotted his body.

Graham initially told investigators that Johnson left their house late on July 7 with unidentified friends in a dark-colored car with Washington state license plates.

That night she texted a friend and said she was about to talk to Johnson about her reservations about having gotten married the previous weekend.

The friend, identified only by the initials K.M., told the FBI about receiving the text from Graham just before 9 p.m. in which Graham said, "Oh well, I'm going to talk to him."

The friend responded, "I'll pray for you guys."

Graham replied, "But dead serious if u [sic] don't hear from me at all again tonight, something happened."

Another friend said Graham reported receiving an email on July 10 saying Johnson had left with three friends, went hiking, had fallen and was dead.

The next day, Graham reported to park officials that she had spotted Johnson's body. A ranger thought that was unusual, but Graham explained, "It was a place he wanted to see before he died," authorities said.

Graham was interviewed on July 16 and acknowledged lying about her husband's death, authorities said.

"She kept continuing to lie, she kept changing her story," Johnson family friend Tracy Maness told the Missoulian newspaper. "She showed no grief and she would not speak to Cody’s mother."

Maness added that Johnson was excited about his wedding and in love with Graham.

"He was very in love with Jordan," she said. "And he was really excited about starting the next chapter of his life."

Johnson's family and friends had long suspected that his death was the result of foul play. As Maness told the paper, "Nobody is shocked at all ... She’d been telling people she knew she never wanted to be married, she just wanted to have a wedding, and that’s apparently what they were arguing about."

Graham was indicted in October on first and second-degree murder charges.  A judge in September ordered Graham released from jail, fitted with an electronic monitoring device and placed in the custody of her parents as she awaits the trial.

Click for more from Reuters. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report