SAN ANTONIO – The attorney for three of four San Antonio women imprisoned for sexually assaulting two girls in 1994 says the women will soon go free.
Mike Ware said in court Monday that an agreement would go forward to allow the "San Antonio 4" to be released on bond. Ware said the women would be released from jail later Monday. The fourth was paroled last year.
Prosecutor Rico Valdez confirmed the acceptance of the agreement.
Both sides agree that the women's convictions for sexually assaulting two girls cannot stand due to faulty expert testimony.
The expert said during the 1998 trials that vaginal injuries sustained by a 9-year-old girl could have been caused by an assault. Attorneys say that testimony has been discredited. One girl has also recanted her testimony.