More than 2 dozen hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak in Utah elementary school

Published November 18, 2013

| FoxNews.com

More than two dozen people are hospitalized – including three students in critical condition – after a carbon monoxide leak inside a Utah elementary school Monday morning.

The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office said the incident was reported around 10 a.m. local time at the Montezuma Creek Elementary School, prompting an evacuation, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

San Juan School District Superintendent Douglas Wright said the leak occurred as people arrived at the school and before the day’s classes started.

A San Juan County press release said that 25 students and adults were transported from the scene to local hospitals.

County Commissioner Bruce Adams said the three students were in critical condition and were airlifted, Fox 13 reports.

The other students were transported to Whitehorse High School and reunited with parents and guardians.

The school will remain closed for the day as authorities investigate the cause of the leak. San Juan County said maintenance officials found problems associated with a water heater and exhaust system.

The school is on the Navajo Reservation about 15 miles west of the Colorado border, according to The Associated Press.

Click for more from Fox 13.

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/18/13-hospitalized-after-carbon-monoxide-leak-in-utah-elementary-school/