Published November 14, 2013
NEW YORK – A group of Lower Manhattan residents plan to sue the NYPD over its security plan for the World Trade Center site.
The WTC Neighborhood Alliance says the plan will leave the center in "fortress-like isolation" and the area around it "as impervious to traffic as the Berlin Wall."
The plan calls for three-foot-tall barriers and a secured zone around the trade center. Vehicles entering the zone would be screened. Only those that can prove they have business in the trade center or have been previously certified would be allowed in.
The New York Times says the alliance will ask the court to annul the plan. The lawsuit is expected to be filed Thursday.
Responding to the impending suit, the city said car bombs pose a serious risk.