MADISON, Ala. – Court records say the parents of an 18-month-old girl who died after eating dishwashing detergent may not have immediately helped the girl because they were both heavily intoxicated.
Investigators have charged 31-year-old Kristopher Joseph Speigner and 29-year-old Joy Lynn Speigner, with criminally negligent homicide in the Sept. 30, 2012 death of their daughter, McKenzie.
Affidavits say the girl swallowed a dishwashing detergent pod and her parents didn't seek medical help for her until the next day because they had both used pharmaceutical medication and drank alcohol.
The girl's father was arrested Monday and her stepmother surrendered to authorities Tuesday.
Jail records show the two have been released on $6,000 bond each and it's unclear if they have attorneys.