13-year-old arrested in series of threats that closed 6 Washington state schools

Published September 11, 2013

| FoxNews.com

Washington state police arrested a 13-year-old male student Wednesday in connection with a  series of threats that closed six suburban Vancouver schools, affecting nearly 4,300 students.

Multiple, written threats that police described as credible had been made Tuesday against Chief Umtuch Middle School in the city of Battle Ground. The boy is a student at that school, Battle Ground police Sgt. Aaron Kanooth said in a statement.

"Officers have determined that the suspect did not possess the means to carry out any of the threats that were made," Kanooth said, adding there is no evidence anyone else was involved.

Police interviewed the boy, seized his computer and released him to the custody of his parents, Kanooth said.

The police investigation will be forwarded to the Clark County juvenile prosecutor with a recommendation for charges of felony harassment, the sergeant said. Police did not release the teen's name.

Q13 Fox reports the threat involved an anonymous suicide note found on the grounds at Chief Umtuch, and officers investigating it discovered evidence of the threats against the schools. 

The five Battle Ground schools that closed Wednesday as a precaution will reopen Thursday, school district spokesman Gregg Herrington said.

Chief Umtuch was closed, as were four other schools on the same campus. A nearby private school also closed Wednesday as a precaution.

Q13 Fox reports a series of teen suicides have occurred in Battle Ground in recent years. Six students in the district, including two at Chief Umtuch, committed suicide between Feb. 2011 and Jan. 2013. 

Battle Ground is part of the Portland, Ore.-Vancouver metro area. It has a population of about 18,000.

Click for more from Q13 Fox.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/11/13-year-old-arrested-in-series-threats-that-closed-6-washington-state-schools/