A local resident in Bullitt County Kentucky found a test an 8th grader would have taken in 1912. David Strange, the executive director of the Bullitt County History Museum, will join us at 12:50 to talk about this fun discovery!
Do you think you're smarter than an 8th grader from over 100 years ago? Answer the questions below to find out! (No cheating! Remember: calculators, Google, and Wikipedia did not exist 100 years ago!)
1. Write in words the following: .5764; .000003; .123416; 653.0965; 43.37
2. Solve: 35.7 plus 4, 5.8 plus 5.14 -59.112.
3. Find cost at 12 1/2 cents per sq. yd. of kalsomining the walls of a room 20 ft. long, 16 ft. wide and 9 ft. high deducting 1 door 8 ft. by 4 ft. 6 in. and 2 windows 5 ft. by 3 ft. 6 in. each.
4. A man bought a farm for $2400 and sold it for $2700. What percent did he gain?
5. A man sold a watch for $180 and lost 16 2/3%. What was the cost of the watch?
6. Find the amount of $5030 for 3 yrs., 3 mo., and 3 days, at 8 per cent.
7. A school enrolled 120 pupils and the number of boys was two thirds the number of girls. How many of each sex were enrolled?
8. How long a rope is required to reach from the top of a building 40 ft. high to the ground 30 ft. from the base of the building?
9. How many steps 2 ft. 4 in. each will a man take in walking 2 1/4 miles?
10. At $1.62 1/2 a cord, what will be the cost of a pile of wood 24. ft long, 4 ft. wide, and 6 ft. 3 in. high?
1. How many parts of speech are there? Define each.
2. Define proper noun; common noun. Name the properties of a noun.
3. What is a Personal Pronoun? Decline I.
4. What properties have verbs?
5. "William struck James." Change the Voice of the verb.
6. Adjectives have how many Degrees of Comparison? Compare good; wise; beautiful.
7. Diagram: The Lord loveth a cheerful giver.
8. Parse all the words in the following sentences. John ran over the bridge. Helen's parents love her.
1. Define longitude and latitude.
2. Name and give boundaries of the five zones.
3. Tell what you know of the Gulf Stream.
4. Locate Erie Canal; what waters does it connect, and why is it important?
5. Locate the following countries which border each other: Turket, Greece. Servia, Montenegro, Roumania.
6. Name and give the capitals of States touching the Ohio River.
7. Locate these cities: Mobile, Quebec, Buenos Aires, Liverpool, Honolulu.
8. Name in the order of their size: the three largest states in the United States.
9. Locate the following mountains: Blue Ridge, Himilaya, Andes, Alps, Wasatch.
10. Through what waters would a vessel pass in going from England through the Suez Canal to Manila?
1. How does the liver compare in size with other glands in the human body? Where is it located? What does it secrate.
2. Name the organs of circulation.
3. Describe the heart.
4. Compare arteries and veins as to function. Where is the blood carried to be purified?
5. Where is the chief nervous center of the body?
6. Define Cerebrum; Cerebellum.
7. What are the functions (or uses) of the spinal column?
8. Why should we study Physiology?
9. Give at least five rules to be observed in maintaining good health?
1. Define the following forms of government: Democracy, Limited Monarchy, Absolute Monarchy, Republic. Give examples of each.
2. To what four governments in school subjected?
3. Name five county officers, and the principal duties of each.
4. Name and define the three branches of the government of the United States.
5. Give three duties of the President. What is meant by veto power?
6. Name three rights given Congres by the Constitution and two rights denied Congress.
7. In the election of a president and vice-president, how many electoral votes in each State allowed?
8. Give the eligibility of president, vice-president, and Governor of Kentucky.
9. What is copyright? Patent right?
10. Describe the manner in which the president and vice president of the United States are elected.
1. Who first discovered the following places: Florida, Pacific Ocean, Mississippi River, St. Lawrence River?
2. Sketch briefly Sir Walter Rawleigh, Peter Stuyvesant.
3. By whom were the following settled. Ga, Md, Mass, R.I., Fla?
4. During what wars were the following battles fought: Brandywine, Great Meadows, Lundy's Lane, Antietam, Buena Vista.
5. Descrive the Battle of Quebec.
6. Give the cause of the war of 1812 and name an important battle fought during that war.
7. Name 2 presidents who have died in office, three who were assasinated.
8. Name the last battle of the Civil War; War of 1812; French and Indian War, and the commanders in each battle.
9. What president was impeached, and on what charge?
10. Who invented the following - Magnetic, Telegraph, Cotton Gin, Sewing Machine, Telephone, Phonograph?