Menu

Dog that ate poisoned meatball in San Francisco dies

A dog that ate one of numerous poisoned meatballs found in San Francisco neighborhoods has died.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the 7-year-old dachshund named Oskar died on Thursday, eight days after eating the meatball.

The meatball was among hundreds laced with strychnine that were scattered in the city's Twin Peaks and Diamond Heights neighborhoods earlier this month. Strychnine is a common rat poison.

San Francisco Police Lt. Miriam Pengel tells the Chronicle that the meatballs had enough poison to kill a human.

Oskar is believed to be the only dog that ate any of them. He was expected to recover.

Police are still investigating the incident and do not know whether dogs were the intended targets.

Bank Rates

Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
30 Y Fixed Graph 4.19% dw 4.27%  
15 Y Fixed Graph 3.27% -- 3.27%  
30 Y Fixed Jumbo Graph 4.70% up 4.56%  
5/1 ARM Graph 3.36% up 3.35%  
5/1 Jumbo ARM Graph 3.74% up 3.54%  
Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
$30K HELOC Graph 4.38% -- 4.38%  
$50K HELOC Graph 4.11% -- 4.11%  
$30K Loan Graph 4.98% dw 4.99%  
$50K Loan Graph 4.39% dw 4.40%  
$75K Loan Graph 4.39% dw 4.40%  
Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
36 M New Graph 2.90% dw 2.91%  
36 M Used Graph 3.41% dw 3.43%  
48 M New Graph 3.15% dw 3.19%  
48 M Used Graph 2.91% dw 2.97%  
60 M New Graph 3.16% dw 3.22%  
Loan Type Graph Yield +/- Last Week
6 month Graph 0.35% -- 0.35%  
1 yr Graph 0.67% dw 0.68%  
5 yr Graph 1.38% -- 1.38%