Wash. man suspected in death of grandparents captured at Oregon motel

  • This photo provided by the King County sheriff’s office shows Michael "Chad" Boysen.

    This photo provided by the King County sheriff’s office shows Michael "Chad" Boysen.  (AP)

  • Police surround a home after an elderly couple was found dead.

    Police surround a home after an elderly couple was found dead.  (q13 fox)

Police ended a daylong standoff and stormed into a motel room in Oregon Tuesday evening,  capturing a Washington state man suspected of killing his grandparents. reports that Michael Boysen, 26, was taken into custody after being treated for self-inflicted cut or stab wounds at an area hospital.

Boysen was flown to Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland late Tuesday night. Hospital spokeswoman Judy Pahl described his condition as critical shortly after he arrived.

Police told the station that Boysen was found lying on the motel room floor on his back. Officers had spent much of the day trying to persuade Michael Boysen to surrender.

No officers were hurt in the standoff, which Kilian termed "very successful." Law enforcement officials in Washington state had described Boysen as extremely dangerous.

The bodies of Boysen's grandparents were found Saturday in their suburban Seattle home, a day after Boysen was released from prison and was greeted with a welcome home party. After those deaths were discovered, officials say they learned that Boysen had made threats against his relatives and law enforcement officials while behind bars.

Police spent much of Tuesday trying to persuade Boysen to surrender. After breaching the motel room door, they stormed in and captured him.

"We're certainly glad it's over and nobody else got hurt. We're glad they were able to take him into custody alive," King County Sheriff John Urquhart said in Seattle shortly after the capture.

During Tuesday's siege in the Oregon tourist town of Lincoln City, police pointed rifles at the motel, fired blasts from a water cannon to break the windows of Boysen's second-floor room and used a bullhorn to try to get him to give up. The Oregonian reports they also used tear gas.

Police used a robot equipped with a video camera and a microphone to communicate with him. The robot was sent onto a balcony outside the motel room. Police breached the door and were able to communicate with Boysen through the robot.

When Boysen didn't come out on his own, police went in after him.

"We tried to negotiate," Kilian said. "We saw an opening that didn't compromise the safety of our officers."

Boysen checked into the WestShore OceanFront Suites on Monday night under his own name but wasn't recognized until Tuesday morning, when a motel employee saw a television story about the case and called police, Kilian said.

Boysen made threats against members of his family and law enforcement while locked up, Washington state Corrections Department spokesman Chad Lewis said Tuesday. But police didn't learn of the threats until after the bodies of the grandparents were found and authorities had started looking for Boysen.

"Sources went to our staff at the Monroe Correctional Center and told us he had been threatening to do all this," Lewis said.

The information was passed on to King County deputies, and that's why Sheriff Urquhart called Boysen extremely dangerous at a Monday news conference. Investigators also determined that Boysen had been searching the Internet for gun shows.

Boysen just finished serving nine months in prison on a burglary conviction, Lewis said. He had no violent infractions in prison -- "nothing extraordinary," Lewis said.

He served a previous sentence between 2006 and February 2011 for four robbery convictions. Those convictions were related to an addiction to narcotic painkillers, Lewis said.

Boysen's grandparents picked him up from prison Friday and drove him to meet his probation officer and to get an identification card from the Department of Licensing. They held a welcome home party for him Friday night.

Boysen's mother discovered the bodies Saturday evening. She had been called by a family member who became concerned that the couple hadn't answered their door.

Authorities haven't said how they died.

The motive for the killings remains unknown, King County sheriff's Sgt. Cindi West said.

"Between the family and detectives we have no idea," she said. "It's just bizarre. The family loved and supported him the whole time he was in prison."

On Tuesday, the King County medical examiner's office identified the couple as Robert R. Taylor, 82, and Norma J. Taylor, 80. They died Saturday. The cause and manner of their deaths remains under investigation, the medical examiner said.

Urquhart said it was not known why Boysen fled to Oregon.

"We didn't know he had gone to Oregon, had no particular reason to look there."

King County sent two detectives to Oregon to talk with Boysen, Urquhart said. He'll have to go through extradition, then King County hopes to "get him back here for trial," the sheriff said Tuesday evening.

Click here for more from

The Associated Press contributed to this report.