A Florida man who says he is a first year pre-med student was charged with child abuse after he confessed to pouring bleach into his 2-month-old baby’s bottle on Sunday to help relieve her congestion, MyFoxOrlando.com reported.
"This is probably the dumbest decision I have ever made," Carron Washington, 20, told the station from the Marion County Jail.
Washington says the girl, Caelynn, was born with her esophagus not completely attached to her stomach and has since had complications. He learned about clearing up the airways with bleach solution through a friend at school, the report said.
The girl's mother came into the room when she heard the baby's loud screams, the report said. She patted Caelynn's back and when the baby vomited, she smelled the bleach. The couple called 911 and Caelynn was rushed to the hospital.
Police said Washington originally lied about putting the bleach in the bottle, then confessed. He was charged with aggravated child abuse.
Caelynn is in good condition at Shands Hospital in Gainesville. She's expected to go home in a few days.
"I'll do whatever I have to do to see her again," Washington said.