Medical examiner: Chicago lottery winner poisoned with cyanide day after collecting $425,000

Published January 07, 2013

| Associated Press

A Chicago medical examiner says a lottery winner was fatally poisoned with cyanide a day after he collected nearly $425,000.

Cook County Medical Examiner Stephen Cina (SEE'-nuh) says a limited exam initially found Urooj (oo-ROOJ') Khan died of natural causes, but a relative asked for a deeper investigation.

A full toxicology test revealed Khan had ingested a deadly amount of cyanide, and his death was re-classified as a homicide.

Khan died July 20, a day after collecting the lump sum option on a $1 million win. He bought the ticket at a 7-Eleven near his home in West Rogers Park, a neighborhood on Chicago's North Side.

Cina said Monday it's likely that Khan's body will be exhumed as part of the investigation into his death.

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/07/medical-examiner-chicago-lottery-winner-poisoned-with-cyanide-day-after/