Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

Education

Officials: Carbon monoxide leak in Atlanta school caused when 2 workers failed to reopen valve

Carbon monoxide detectors will be placed in an Atlanta elementary school where dozens of students were sickened after two workers failed to reopen a boiler valve.

Associate superintendent Steve Smith says Georgia law does not require the detectors in schools. But Atlanta Public Schools is planning to install them district-wide.

Meanwhile, administrators say it appears the leak was caused by human error, not an equipment failure. More than 40 students and several adults at Finch Elementary School were treated at hospitals after Monday's leak.

Officials said at a news conference Thursday that two maintenance workers serviced the boiler identified as the leak source at the southwest Atlanta school just days before the leak. Officials say the leak occurred after they failed to reopen a valve after doing the work on Friday.

Bank Rates

Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
30 Y Fixed Graph 3.85% up 3.83%  
15 Y Fixed Graph 2.97% up 2.96%  
30 Y Fixed Jumbo Graph 4.29% up 4.26%  
5/1 ARM Graph 3.13% up 3.11%  
5/1 Jumbo ARM Graph 3.83% up 3.44%  
Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
$30K HELOC Graph 4.43% up 4.38%  
$50K HELOC Graph 4.07% up 4.06%  
$30K Loan Graph 4.56% up 4.54%  
$50K Loan Graph 4.20% -- 4.20%  
$75K Loan Graph 4.20% -- 4.20%  
Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
36 M New Graph 3.08% -- 3.08%  
36 M Used Graph 3.29% -- 3.29%  
48 M New Graph 3.06% -- 3.06%  
48 M Used Graph 2.96% -- 2.96%  
60 M New Graph 3.13% -- 3.13%  
Loan Type Graph Yield +/- Last Week
6 month Graph 0.37% -- 0.37%  
1 yr Graph 0.61% -- 0.61%  
5 yr Graph 1.44% dw 1.48%