Victims of an unforgiving one-two punch from superstorm Sandy and a nor'easter that both hit New York's Staten Island say FEMA has forgotten them.
Already without power for more than a week in the wake of Sandy, hard-hit residents of the borough's South Shore braved a winter storm Wednesday night, with many -- perhaps hundreds -- huddling in condemned homes and ignoring orders to evacuate out of fear looters would take what little Mother Nature has left them.
"FEMA packed up everything yesterday and left the area," said MaryLou Wong, whose home in the Midland Beach neighborhood was destroyed. "They haven't come back."
Punch-drunk residents' ire is also aimed at the city -- which is going door-to-door to order people out of their homes -- at the American Red Cross, which some say has not done enough and at police and firefighters. One group of residents, calling themselves the "Brown Cross," is patrolling the devastated streets, armed with walkie-talkies, and helping residents clear debris and pump water from their flooded homes.
Tens of thousands of homes and businesses lose power again, some transit services suspended as nor'easter hits a week after Sandy
New York Gov. Cuomo says superstorm Sandy may cost state $33 billion
Winter storm deals another nasty blow to Northeast
NY Attorney General Takes on Post-Sandy Price Gougers
Gas Lines Continue in New York and New Jersey
Black Market for Gas After Hurricane Sandy
Saving memories scattered by Sandy
NY emergency management director fired after diverting crews to remove tree from his driveway
Frustrations growing as victims of Sandy wait for help
“We’ve done more for our community than FEMA, the Red Cross and the National Guard combined, directly hitting houses and people in need,” Frank Recce, the 24-year-old longshoreman and Iraq Army veteran who organized the group, told FoxNews.com.
Last week, when President Obama toured the New Jersey and New York coastal areas hit hard by Sandy, he vowed to get help to the victims quickly.
“No bureaucracy. No red tape,” Obama vowed.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that the storm could cost the state $33 billion.
FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said the agency is helping, and urged people to go to www.disasterassistance.gov or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). He also said temporary, manufactured housing is on the way. Officials described the homes are trailers, but are different from those used to house victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans seven years ago.
"FEMA is part of a big team on the response and recovery to Sandy, and we continue to closely coordinate with our partners in and outside of government," Fugate said.
But it didn't sit right with many that FEMA, citing the weather, closed temporary recovery centers - where people apply for help - as the nor'easter bore down on the borough. They closed Tuesday at 6 p.m. due to safety concerns in advance of the nor'easter that hit the borough.
"We moved our mobile stations to a staging area for 24 hours to ensure the safety of our workers and others," said FEMA spokeswoman Hannah Vick. "These places are not shelters. We certainly did not want people traveling out to these locations during last night's storm."
The agency was to open a pair of mobile disaster recovery centers at noon, after opening two earlier on Thursday. FEMA officials said the agency plans to bring in more of the mobile units in the coming days.
“Locations are being opened back up and damage is being assessed,” Fugate said during a conference call on Thursday.
As of Thursday morning, more than 4,000 people were without power on Staten Island. Hundreds were staying in temporary shelters, where many complained they were treated like prisoners -- given curfews and rationed food.
“It’s gotten pretty unbearable. People are sleeping on floors. The shelter wasn’t prepared,” Edwin Mansour, a Staten Island resident who has taken refuge at Bailey Seton Hospital since he lost his home during Sandy, told FoxNews.com. “Now [they're] locking us in, trying to turn this place into a homeless shelter. They’ve been giving us curfews. We have plenty of food but they are hoarding it in another part of the building, only handing a little bit out,” he added.
Many more victims -- likely hundreds -- chose to ride out the nor’easter in homes deemed unsafe out of fear that looters could strike and take whatever they have left.
“The big unknown is how many people are remaining in their homes, homes that are essentially uninhabitable, people who, by Friday or next week, when the weather gets colder and the rains come, are going to come to the realization that they can no longer stay where they are,” state Sen. Andrew Lanza told the Staten Island Advance.
The city Buildings Department was going door to door in Staten Island’s hard-hit neighborhoods and posting color-coded placards on homes to notify residents if they could go back in.
“In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, our inspectors have been canvassing the City, inspecting affected buildings and tagging them with green, yellow or red placards based on their condition," said Ryan Fitzgibbon, a spokeswoman for the Department of Buildings. "This is part of our rapid assessment process to conduct as many initial inspections as quickly as possible and provide New Yorkers with information on the status of their buildings.”
Green and yellow placards signify the home is safe to re-enter, but for homes with red placards, the city advises residents to “hire a New York State-licensed professional (Registered Architect or Professional Engineer) to file plans with the department and a hire a contractor to make the necessary repairs.
Hiring an architect was not on the immediate horizon for residents who were simply trying to survive. Those who didn't guard their homes went to shelters, and even huddled together on buses as the second storm, dubbed Athena, dumped nearly half-a-foot of snow.
FoxNews.com's Jana Winter contributed to this report.
Perry Chiaramonte is a reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter at @perrych