Published November 06, 2012
A Florida judge has denied Casey Anthony’s request to move her civil defamation trial from Orlando, a decision that will have Anthony in the same courthouse where she was acquitted of murder last year, the Orlando Sentinel reported.
Circuit Judge Lisa Munyon’s ruling allows for both sides to revisit the venue dispute if additional issues come up during jury selection, the paper reported.
It’s an "impossibility, I submit, that Ms. Anthony can get a fair trial in Orange County," Anthony’s attorney, Charles Greene, argued at a hearing, according to the paper.
He argued the jury pool would be better somewhere "north of Orlando," such as Tallahassee or Gainesville.
"We had hoped that the publicity in this case would subside after the criminal case," he said. "It has not."
Zenaida Gonzalez, the woman suing Anthony, says her life was upended after Anthony said a woman with a name similar to Gonzalez’s had kidnapped her daughter, 2-year-old Caylee Anthony, in 2008. The nanny referenced by Anthony didn't exist, and the girl was later found dead.
The defamation trial is set for January.
Anthony was acquitted on all major charges in her daughter's death in July 2011.