FOWLERVILLE, Mich. – A motorist driving along Interstate 96 was shot and wounded Saturday in the latest in a string of shootings in southeastern Michigan, authorities said.
Sheriff Bob Bezotte told Detroit radio station WWJ-AM that the man was taken to the hospital Saturday afternoon after being shot in the hip by a bullet that came through the driver's-side door. Bezotte said shots were fired at another car earlier but its two occupants weren't injured.
No injuries had been reported before Saturday in the series of at least 24 shootings in four counties. Most of the shootings involve cars near Interstate 96, though authorities said one occurred while a man was taking out his trash. In another incident, a woman said the rear window on her car was shattered. Ten of the shootings were in Wixom in Oakland County.
Saturday's shooting was the first incident since Oct. 18. WHMI-FM reported that multiple police agencies were searching for the suspect. The freeway's westbound lanes were closed in the area of the shootings.
Based on reports, authorities said the gunman appears to be a man in his 30s.
"We need somebody to report this," Bezotte said. "We need to stop this guy before he kills somebody."
Police said Friday that tests on bullet fragments and casings determined that the same firearm was used in the string of shootings up to that point.