Menu

Jury says NY doctor not to blame for patient who caught on fire during cesarean section

A jury has decided that a Syracuse doctor isn't to blame for an operating-room mishap that caused a pregnant woman to catch fire during a cesarean section delivery.

Kira Reed suffered a 7-inch-long burn on her side two years ago when an alcohol-based antiseptic applied to her skin was accidentally ignited by a medical device. The fire was out quickly and her baby was fine, but she sued over the injury.

Reed reached an out-of-court settlement with the hospital, but The Post-Standard of Syracuse reports (http://bit.ly/RlXXmB ) that a jury rejected a negligence claim this week against obstetrician Stephen Brown.

Brown's lawyer says the jury's decision was appropriate.

Surgical fires are rare, but do happen occasionally when hot devices touch disinfectant solutions before the alcohol has a chance to evaporate.

___

Information from: The Post-Standard, http://www.syracuse.com

Bank Rates

Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
30 Y Fixed Graph 4.19% dw 4.27%  
15 Y Fixed Graph 3.27% -- 3.27%  
30 Y Fixed Jumbo Graph 4.70% up 4.56%  
5/1 ARM Graph 3.36% up 3.35%  
5/1 Jumbo ARM Graph 3.74% up 3.54%  
Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
$30K HELOC Graph 4.38% -- 4.38%  
$50K HELOC Graph 4.11% -- 4.11%  
$30K Loan Graph 4.98% dw 4.99%  
$50K Loan Graph 4.39% dw 4.40%  
$75K Loan Graph 4.39% dw 4.40%  
Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
36 M New Graph 2.90% dw 2.91%  
36 M Used Graph 3.41% dw 3.43%  
48 M New Graph 3.15% dw 3.19%  
48 M Used Graph 2.91% dw 2.97%  
60 M New Graph 3.16% dw 3.22%  
Loan Type Graph Yield +/- Last Week
6 month Graph 0.35% -- 0.35%  
1 yr Graph 0.67% dw 0.68%  
5 yr Graph 1.38% -- 1.38%