Published May 14, 2012
LEWISTON, Idaho – A man said he reached down to pick up a stick lying in the gardening aisle of a Wal-Mart in Idaho, only to discover that it was a rattlesnake that then bit his hand.
Mica Craig said he was shopping in the outdoor garden department of a Lewiston store when he was bitten Saturday. The 47-year-old man from Clarkston, Wash., says it latched onto his hand and that he screamed and managed to shake loose the snake and stomped it to death.
The Lewiston Tribune reports a bystander drove Craig to a local emergency room. Craig said he was treated with six bags of anti-venom and was told that his hand could be permanently disfigured.
He said doctors expect him to remain hospitalized until Tuesday.