Officials are crediting four coworkers for saving a man’s life Monday after he fell 40 feet into a vat of acid.
Martin Davis fell through a roof at a factory in New Jersey and into the tank that was reportedly filled with a 40 percent to 70 percent solution of nitric acid, which is commonly used for cleaning metal tubing, NorthJersey.com reported.
It was initially reported that Rob Nuckols, another worker, jumped into the vat to rescue Davis. But Nuckols’ family members told the paper that he did not jump into the tank. Rather, he joined the other workers in pulling Davis out. Nucklos was not available for comment.
"It takes a lot of courage," Vince Colavitti, the fire chief told The Record of Woodland Park.
Rescue workers cut Davis out of his clothes and sprayed him with water to limit burns. A relative says Davis is in critical condition. NorthJersey.com reported that Davis suffered a broken rib, punctured lung and burns on his leg and side.
"They have him on a breathing apparatus and he’s in critical condition," a family member told the paper. "His condition is not so good. But he's a young guy. He'll pull through."