CRANSTON, R.I. – Officials at a Rhode Island public high school have taken down a prayer banner that a federal judge ordered removed.
The state affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, which sued over the banner's constitutionality, says the display at Cranston West High School was permanently removed.
Executive Director Steven Brown says the ACLU has agreed to allow more time to settle the issue of legal fees. ACLU lawyers who sued on behalf of 16-year-old Jessica Ahlquist have asked the court to order the city to pay $173,000. The city has until March 19 to lay out its opposition.
Cranston schools superintendent Peter Nero tells The Providence Journal the banner is being stored in an undisclosed location.
The school committee voted last month not to appeal the judge's ruling.