NEW YORK – A law enforcement official says the FBI has opened an investigation into allegations media mogul Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. sought to hack into the phones of Sept. 11 victims.
The official spoke Thursday to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly.
New York City-based News Corp. has been in crisis mode because of a scandal that sank its U.K. newspaper the News of the World.
A rival newspaper reported last week the News of the World had hacked into the phone of U.K. teenage murder victim Milly Dowler in 2002 and may have impeded a police investigation into her disappearance. More possible victims soon emerged, including former Prime Minister Gordon Brown.
Murdoch says his media company will recover from any damage wrought by the phone-hacking and police bribery allegations.
The FBI's New York office hasn't commented.