Candle blamed for NY fire that killed boy, parents

New York City fire marshals have determined a candle started a fast-moving fire that killed a 12-year-old boy and his parents in an apartment building city officials say was illegally subdivided.

Fire Department of New York spokesman Frank Dwyer says the fire was ruled accidental. The utility Consolidated Edison says the three-story Bronx building had no power because there was no record of anyone living there.

Christian Garcia and his parents, Juan Lopez and Christina Garcia, died in the April 25 blaze. Christian's younger brother and sister were rescued from the top-floor apartment.

City officials say access to fire escapes was blocked.

The building was in foreclosure. Its ownership was disputed.

The case led to a city crackdown on illegal subdivisions. Firefighters say the subdivisions put people's lives at risk.