A New York mom is facing criminal charges after her 3-year-old daughter accidentally gave a painkiller-and-jelly sandwich to another girl as an afternoon snack, SILive.com reported.
Denise Manzella, 28, said she was about to take her prescribed oxycodone medication but was distracted by making school lunches and snacks and lost sight of the pills, the site reported.
Manzella told officials her 3-year-old slipped two of the powerful opiates into a sandwich for her mother to eat.
Instead, the sandwich ended up in the hands of a neighbor's daughter, whose grandmother intercepted the snack and looked inside because the younger of the two is allergic to peanut butter.
Prosecutors and police say the chain of events amounted to child endangerment. Manzella faces up to a year in jail if convicted, SILive.com reported.