LOS ANGELES - A gunman walked into a San Fernando Valley restaurant Saturday and opened fire, killing four people and wounding two others, police said.
Three men were pronounced dead at the scene of the 4:40 p.m. attack at the Hot Spot Mediterranean Cafe, according to Los Angeles Police officer Rosario Herrera. Another man died of his wounds after being rushed to a hospital.
She said two others people were hospitalized, one in critical condition.
Police are searching for the suspected gunman, described only as male around 30 years old.
Investigators believe he fled in a vehicle. A motive for the attack was unknown.
"It's a very complex investigation that we are involved in right now," LAPD Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese said at a news conference Saturday night.
"Anytime we have a shooting at an eatery in broad daylight, we all need to be concerned."
Initial reports said five people were hit by gunfire, but police later said there had been six victims
The identifications of the shooting victims were not immediately released but police said five were men between 20 and 25 years old. Herrera also said she didn't know if the sixth victim was male or female.
Police do not believe the shooting was random. When a local resident asked Albanese if she should fear for her own safety, he replied, "We don't believe we have a crazed gunman running around looking to shoot someone."
Nearby residents told The Daily News the cafe often seemed strangely empty.
The place is shady," said Matt Edwards, who lives close by and heard the gunfire. "It opened five years ago and it's always closed and empty."
"There's always people outside talking but never anyone eating," said Kim Sutton, who lives around the corner.
Riverside Drive was closed as officials investigated the scene and searched for the gunman.