Sign in to comment!

Kelly File

Ben Carson: We're being too tolerant of infantile behavior

This is a rush transcript from "The Kelly File," November 11, 2015. This copy may not be in its final form and may be updated.

MEGYN KELLY, HOST: Breaking tonight, new evidence that was started with a campus protest in Missouri, may be spreading to more colleges and universities as small groups of students use complaints about race and diversity in a big play to rewrite the rules for everyone. And now this is becoming an issue for the 2016 race for the White House.

Good evening, everyone and welcome to "The Kelly File." I'm Megyn Kelly. We are in a different studio here tonight because we have with us a specially-picked focus group. And in moments, we will also be joined by Dr. Ben Carson live. And the first topic for everyone is the chaos we have seen this week on a growing number of college campuses. It started with a remarkable series of events at the University of Missouri. In a period of roughly 72 hours, a small group of angry black students manage to force the resignation of the two highest ranking officials at that school, complaining they did not show enough concern about racial issues at the school, including the self-defense shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson last winter.

Since then, tensions have grown. Members of the Missouri campus ROTC were being told not to wear their uniforms today, Veteran's Day, because of worries about violence as a result. Two students from other Missouri campuses have been arrested for making threats on social media. Protests have now spread to Ithaca College in New York where some African-American students are calling on their president there to resign, alleging that they have not been racially send to --

At Yale, we are getting new accounts tonight, students attacking conservative speakers actually spitting on them or shouting them down because they did not like what the speakers were saying. And at the University of Texas, they are warning that this is a signal to students across the country that they can take control and change the way things work. Again, Dr. Ben Carson, fresh off of last night's debate and the Yale graduate himself will address this with us in a moment. And then we will hear from our panel of voters, including doctors, marines, former police officers and religious officials.

But, first, Trace Gallagher live in our West Coast Newsroom tonight with more on the free speech debate raging at Mizzou, Yale and beyond. Trace.

TRACE GALLAGHER, FOX NEWS: Megyn, the number of real and perceived threats at the University of Missouri are coming in so fast that campus police are spread very thin trying to figure out which ones, if any, pose a risk. First, there was an anonymous social media post saying, quote, "I'm going to stand my grand tomorrow and shoot every black person I see." That was followed by this. Quote, "Some of you are all right. Don't go to campus tomorrow." Police have now arrested a 19-year-old non- Mizzou student in connection with those threats. Then there's the e-mail sent by a Mizzou professor of military science telling army ROTC members not to wear their uniforms because of threats made against veterans and soldiers in that Columbia area.

That uniform band has now been extended to Friday. And the University of Missouri student body president posted on Facebook, quoting again, "students take precautions. Stay away from windows in resident halls, the KKK has been confirmed to be sighted on campus." Campus police knocked that claim down and the student body president later retracted his statement and apologize." At Yale, the free speech debate rages. The Yale Daily News reports that signs with racist messages have been found on campus. The front of the signs said, "all lives matter."

The back of the signs talks about black violence and rape. Police do not believe the signs were posted by students. Now, remember, the debate at Yale began when the dean told students to avoid Halloween costumes that disrespect race, religion and gender expression. A professor disagreed with the dean saying, offensive costumes are part of free speech and a free society. Here's how one student responded to that claim. Watch.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: By sending out that e-mail, that goes against your position as master. Do you understand that?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No, I don't agree with that? Then why the (bleep) did you take the position? Who the (bleep) hired you? Sit down.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GALLAGHER: And the man who took the video of that screaming student you just saw later spoke at a free-speech conference only to be confronted by yet another screaming student. Watch again.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

(APPLAUSE)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You people speak like you don't know the history of the country that you pretend to love. And you talk about burning Indian villages which gets a lot of laughs!

(LAUGHTER)

(END VIDEO CLIP)

GALLAGHER: Just so you know, Yale has a policy of no filming on campus without permission. The Washington Post says, the dean is now looking to extend that to cell phones -- Megyn.

KELLY: Trace, thank you.

Joining me now to react to all of this. Republican presidential candidate and Yale graduate, Dr. Ben Carson. Dr. Carson, thank you for being here tonight.

DR. BEN CARSON, REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Pleasure.

KELLY: So, how do you see this debate unfolding on these campuses?

CARSON: Well, that's just the problem. It's not a debate. And that's what needs to happen. The two sides need to sit down and have an open discussion. It's part of the problem that's going on in our country right now. We have people who get in their respective corners and demonize each other but there's no conversation. And of course, if you ask people to put on the record what their gripes are and what their solutions are, then perhaps they can see that maybe they are not so far apart and they can come up with some reason or solutions. But you know, this is just raw emotion. And people being manipulated. I think, in many of these cases by outside forces who wish to create disturbances.

KELLY: Well, what do you make of these students who are with the dean of Yale saying, you can't wear offensive Halloween costumes. Offensive in if mind of whom? Who's to decide? I mean, anything could be potentially offensive. And so, the message was just don't do it. And one professor tried to say, you know what, some offense, you might have to learn to live with it. That's just maybe a reality. And you saw the students yelling in his face. The anger she had in his message of sometimes you might have to accept that not everything is going to be totally okay with you.

CARSON: Well, we need recognize that this is a very dangerous trend. When we get to a point where a majority can say, I don't like what you're doing. That's offensive and therefore, I have the right to be violent toward you or to deprive you of rights because I don't like what you're doing. You know, that really goes against the grain of our constitutional rights. And if we don't see that, we're in really big trouble right now.

KELLY: What do made of -- you grew up, you know, had sort hard scrabble background, and you had a mother who told you, you know, tough. You're going to have to read more and you're going to have to get better and you get yourself out of here with a good education. What they're telling these students right now on the Missouri campus is, if you hear speech that you find insulting, call the cops. You are now supposed to call the campus cops if you hear something offensive. What are we doing to tomorrow's generation?

CARSON: Well, we're being a little bit too tolerant, I guess you might say, accepting infantile behavior, I guess you might say. And I don't care which side it comes from. You know, to say that I have the right to violate your civil rights, because you're offending me is un- American. It's unconstitutional. And the officials at these places must recognize that and have the moral courage to stand up to it. Because if they don't, it will grow, it will exacerbate the situation, as we will move much further toward anarchy than anybody can imagine and much more quickly. We simply can't allow those kinds of things to happen. And we must encourage open dialogue. You know, it's the same thing that happens before people get divorce. They stopped talking. The next thing you know their spouse is a devil incarnate. That's what's going on. And we cannot allow that in America.

KELLY: You can or you saw that one professor who said, you know, if you want to offend somebody in Halloween, you know, that's life. And you saw the student. This is your Alma Matter, you know, shouting in his face. You know what, put you on this position. She called him master by the way because he's master of sort of the student housing with Yale. That's the term they used there.

CARSON: Right.

KELLY: But you went to Yale. And I mean, was it like this when you were there? Was there this little tolerance for something that might potentially offend?

CARSON: No, not at all. This is something that's starting to develop now. And, you know, I know the President of Yale and he's a very, very reasonable person. And you know, I would imagine that he's working overtime right now to try to establish some dialogue.

KELLY: Well, he's the one who didn't want the Halloween costumes to go out and -- potentially offensive which has basically band 90 percent of Halloween costumes.

All right. Let me ask you this. So, speaking of your time at Yale, as everybody knows there were some dust-up last week, about whether some stories you told in your memoir were true, whether they all checked out. And one of them was your time at Yale. They decided to play some trick which was really actually quite jerky. And they told the students in this one class including you that your final exams had been burned, you had to show up the next day. Retake the exam. You did it. You said in your memoir, it was much tougher, most of the students walked out, except for you. And then at the end, despite how ridiculously hard the exam was, that you were still there and the professor came over, gave you ten bucks and said, you're the last honest man.

You've said, the student newspapers take a picture. Then some newspaper did some digging and said they didn't believe it happened. The Wall Street Journal I think was the one that investigated that saying, they didn't find your picture in the paper. Didn't find a course by the name of Perceptions 301, which is how you styled it in your book. And couldn't find a professor or student to verify your account. You wound up producing a newspaper article from "The Time" that backed you up. Another witnesses come forward as the guy who said, I actually organized the whole prank, it happened as Dr. Carson said.

Nonetheless, some of the details were wrong. There was no class called Perceptions 301. It didn't happen on the date you said. It would have happened on your freshman or not you're junior. Now, can you understand why some have raised questions given that even though these stories may have checked out ultimately, they had factual inaccuracies in them and that does send the spite senses up for a lot of reports?

CARSON: Well, you know, the fact of the matter is, I defy you to find anybody who can go back and very accurately detail everything that happened, you know, 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago. You can give the general flavor, and that's what I did, working with a co-writer. And, you know, you're never going to have the exact details in that kind of situation.

KELLY: But then why fill them in? Why not just sort of say, in some class I took it in college?

CARSON: You know, that book was written 25 years ago. I don't remember what the conversation was with the co-writer at that time. I remember that we had the class and I told him about the class and I told him what happened. And it's been verified that that happened. But, you know, having every small detail, I don't think it's actually even reasonable. If somebody has all the details and they remember to that specificity, that would make me actually suspicious.

KELLY: Uh-hm. Last question before I go. How do you think you did at the debate last night?

CARSON: I was actually much happier with the debate last night, particularly having the 90 second format where you can actually, you know, get a reasonable thought across to people. So, I was very happy with the way it worked on.

KELLY: Thank you for being here tonight, sir.

CARSON: Always a pleasure, thank you.

KELLY: Well, as we mentioned a moment ago, our panelists here. And when we come back, they will weigh in on Dr. Ben Carson. A new controversy on the campaign trail and the fallout from last night's debate. Don't go away.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SEN. TED CRUZ, REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: The current system isn't fair. Washington is fundamentally corrupt. There are more words in the IRS code than there are in the Bible. And not a one of them is as good.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KELLY: Oh, less than 24 hours after the FOX Business debate wrapped up, and Senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are getting high marks for both substance and style. Politico reporting, "Rubio and Cruz shine at Fourth GOP debate." The Daily Caller declaring Cruz and Rubio win debate and foreshadow a coming clash." And The New York Times providing its take on what could be next for the two GOP contenders. "Confrontation brews as Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio vie for conservative vote." Watch.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

SEN. MARCO RUBIO, REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Here's the best way to raise wages. Make America the best place in the world to start a business or expand an existing business. Tax reform and regulatory reform. Bring our debt under control. Fully utilized our energy resources so we can reinvigorate manufacturing. Repeal and replace ObamaCare. And make higher education faster and easier to access especially vocational training. For the life of me, I don't know why we have stigmatized vocational education. Welders make more money than philosophers. We need more welders and less philosophers.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

CRUZ: I understand that when the mainstream media covers immigration, it doesn't often see it as an economic issue. But I can tell you, for millions of Americans at home, watching this, it is a very personal economic issue, and I will say the politics of it would be very, very different if a bunch of lawyers or bankers were crossing the Rio Grande.

RUBIO: We can't even have an economy if we're not safe. There are radical Jihadists from the Middle East beheading people and crucifying Christians. A radical Shia cleric in Iran trying to get a nuclear weapons, the Chinese taking over the South China Sea. Yes, I believe the world is a safer -- no, no, I don't believe, I know that the world is a safer and better place when America is the strongest military power in the world.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

CRUZ: We have to defend this nation. You think defending this nation is expensive, try not defending it. That's a lot more expensive.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

But you can do that and pay for it. You can do that and also be fiscally responsible --

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KELLY: And we're joined now by our panel of voters with their reactions to last night's debate. These are Republican voters. So they are going to actually have a say on who gets their nomination. Great to see you all tonight. Thank you.

All right. So, first of all, raise your hand if you think Senator Marco Rubio won that debate. Raise your hand if you think Ted Cruz did. Raise your hand if you think Ben Carson did. Donald Trump? Rand Paul? Chris Christie? That was a trick question. He wasn't in the -- all right. So, a lot of Marco Rubio believers over here. Why?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Well, I'll tell you, one of the things that really impressed me as a prosecutor about Marco Rubio is his attention to national security. And the answer you just showed, I mean, he cares about keeping our community safe. And you can't do that if you don't have the strong military. So, at the end of the Rand Paul, a Rubio dust-up as you put it last night, he really emerged as the winner because you can't justify an age of terror not making sure we have a strong military that our communities are kept safe.

KELLY: So, let me ask this. Rubio and Cruz have both been very smooth at these debates. You know, there's sort of slow and steady, wins the race. That seems to be their approach. They have nice moments. They don't really, you know, step in it too badly. But does that mean you're going to vote for them. Does that suede anybody to say, he's a good orator, he's a good debater and I was once leaning one way? But now, I want to vote for him because he impresses me in the debates. Go ahead Rocco (ph).

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes. It made me look and think Marco Rubio speaks very well. And Ted Cruz speaks very well. Just like you said, good debater, a good orator. But it didn't convinced me to vote for them though. Marco Rubio just seems to come across like somebody who is extremely book smart but doesn't really have any practical or life knowledge. That's the way I felt about it. Cruz -- Cruz is the center, he has no experience. He has good ideas. But Neil Cavuto brought up a very good point that I was thinking about watching him. He's disagreed with everyone. He's fought with everyone. We have that now in the White House. So what -- what will he bring different to the White House? How is he going to get things done?

KELLY: You want somebody who's going to get along with others? Are you really a Republican?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, I am. But he will get along less than everyone else. Let's put it that way.

KELLY: Go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Megyn, look, I disagree with just about everybody on Marco Rubio. I thought he sounded like a third grader at a Christmas play with all the rehearsed lines. So, it didn't sound genuine to me at all. Ted Cruz, he is a far better orator, he is a much better debater. Does that mean I'm ready to commit to anybody yet? Absolutely not.

KELLY: Go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I disagree with Rocko a little bit about Ted Cruz. Although, it's not his or rating skills that really impressed me. It's the fact that he does stand up to both parties. He's a principled man. He exhibits leadership qualities. When he's at these debates, he did it the last time when he put the moderators in check. And those are qualities we need in a leader. I need somebody who's going to say, these are my principals and I will stand behind them.

KELLY: Marjorie, go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I wasn't looking for oration. This is a policy oriented debate and frankly I wasn't convinced about Ted Cruz's idea of reducing the Department of Commerce.

KELLY: Who would you like? Twice. He's still -- than he meant to say the Department of Education secretary. But who did you like last night?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I mean, I liked Rubio. I liked him from the beginning. I like Rubio now. But I was really, really listening for tax reform, foreign policy, I don't really care about speech anymore. What are these people going to do? They have to face Hillary in a few months?

KELLY: Anthony, go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think Cruz, hands down, the more he speaks, the smarter he is. That we can see it coming out of him. And as a single issue voter, Cruz --

KELLY: What's your issue?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Second Amendment all the way.

KELLY: And he's your favorite?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes.

KELLY: Go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Cruz is a guy who has the debate award named after him. He won nine cases in front of the Supreme Court.

KELLY: That's right.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He showed his skills last night. Rubio surprised me. But I expected that from both of them. Rubio made me forget about the bottle of water.

KELLY: But does that mean that they're going to be a good president? Because, you know, a lot of Barack Obama detractors say, he was the most skilled orator we've seen and they don't like him as president. Go ahead, you in the back.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I actually, all of these people saying, oh, well, he's not experienced, you know, in trying to compare him to Obama. I think it's completely the opposite of it. I think he's reinforced last night.

KELLY: Rubio or Cruz.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: No. Ted Cruz I'm sorry. I think Cruz completely reinforced the point of why people should vote for him. He was full of substance, he gave a lot of details. And there's that fire. We need a fighter who is going to say, you know what, to the establishment and --

KELLY: Speaking of fire.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes.

KELLY: Did anybody think Jeb Bush won the debate?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: No, no.

KELLY: Oh, look, John is back. John, why?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Well, I think he laid out a very, very clear plan, very eloquently on regulatory reform, on tax reform on immigration and how we can move to a skilled space immigration system that can actually improve the labor force participation that can grow the economy. I think the economy is the most important.

KELLY: He is nothing if not loyal. Before we wrap this. I want to ask you. Katrina, so, now, Katrina, our friend Katrina has actually been made Trump's national spokesperson for his campaigns so congratulations.

(APPLAUSE)

Now she gets actually paid to represent him. But, so I know that you kind of have to say that he thought he won. But specifically, why because he wasn't as big a factor in this debate.

KATRINA PIERSON, TRUMP CAMPAIGN NATIONAL SPOKESPERSON: Well, and I think that's a good thing. He doesn't really have to be, does he? I just heard everybody talk about the reasons why being a great orator with no experience is not a good thing or a bad thing. You're talking about two lawyers who argue for a living who try to convince other people that they are right. And Trump has been on top along with Carson because they are not your typical lawyer politician.

KELLY: Uh-hm.

PIERSON: And Trump held his own last night. I think he stood firm with immigration, that is a driving force in the party. And you can't have an honest discussion about the U.S. economy without addressing illegal immigration.

KELLY: And that is where we're going. We're going to that subject, next. So, standby. Because we have much much more to get too. One of the hottest moments in the debate came when Republicans started fighting over immigrations and calls to deport the illegal immigrants living in the United States right now. And wait until you see where that fight went today.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

DONALD TRUMP, REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: We either have a country or we don't have a country. We are a country of laws. They're going to have to go out, and they will come back, but they are going to have to go out and hopefully they get back.

GOV. JOHN KASICH, REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: People think that we are going to ship 11 million people who are law-abiding, who are in this country and somehow pick them up at their house and ship them out of Mexico? Think about the families. Think about the children. It's a silly argument. It's not an adult argument. It makes no sense.

TRUMP: All I can say --

GOV. JEB BUSH, REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Twelve million illegal immigrants, to send them back, 500,000 a month is just not possible. And it's not embracing American values. And it would tear communities apart. And it would send a signal that we're not the kind of country that I know America is.

CRUZ: We can embrace legal immigrations while believing in the rule of law. And I would note, try going illegally to another country, try going to China or Japan. Try going to Mexico. See what they do. Every sovereign nation secures its borders. And it is not compassionate to say, we're not going to enforce the laws --

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KELLY: Well, last night's FOX Business debate was built as an economic discussion with the fallout from illegal immigration touching off some of the hot exchanges you just saw. But it did not end there. When Donald Trump went on MSNBC this morning the questions on deportations picked up where the debate left off.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

MIKA BRZEZINSKI, MSNBC CO-HOST, "MORNING JOE": Tell me how are you going to have a massive deportation force?

TRUMP: You're going to have a deportation force, and you're going to do it humanely and you're going to bring the country -- and, frankly, the people, because you have some excellent, wonderful people, some fantastic people that have been here for a long period of time. Don't forget, Mika, that you have millions of people that are waiting in line to come into this country and they're waiting to come in legally.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KELLY: And we're back now with our panel. So a deportation force which has, even some of the conservative blogs today saying, how exactly does that work if Trump says he's going to get the illegal immigrants out in a year. So we're gonna have, I mean, imagine the manpower that would take to basically hunt down 11 million illegal immigrants and get them out of the country in one year. Do you want that -- first of all?

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No.

KELLY: Raise your hand if you want that. You do? Yes, why?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: You know whether or not it's realistic to get one hundred -- like to get a hundred percent of 11 million illegals out of the country, deport them all. The question is we have to start somewhere. This idea that we're racist because we want to protect the sovereignty of our country, of our borders, when does it end? Are we just supposed to be perpetually giving amnesty to people? And just let illegals come to say, oh, well, we can't support them all. In sometimes, it has to end. You have to do something. Let them go back. Come back, follow the laws and come back the right way.

KELLY: The (inaudible) in the back.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah. Just thinking about, though, I mean, it's ridiculous. You know, you're gonna -- 11 million people, 12 million people, whatever the figures are, so you're going to have these little jack booted thug, kicking in people's doors, looking under their beds, for people to deport from this country. And you know -- I know it was supposed to be a financial debate, but -- and no one's really talked about this, but you know, the bounty of this great country comes from our creator, and nobody's talking about that a lot. Especially -- including my candidate, Rand Paul. But the problem is there's no compassion there, you know, there's a way we're supposed to treat people. You know, that's not an American that is really wanted to live and we were just going around, kicking indoors, looking for people.

KELLY: Well, speaking of that. So speaking of that, so how many people are against the thought of having a deportation force?

(CROSSTALK)

KELLY: OK. Go ahead in the back.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Listen. When he talks about deporting all of the illegal immigrants, first of all, it's not economical, it's not feasible, and it comes across as fascism. It comes across as being totalitarian and authoritarian. That's not the American way. And I don't think anybody with common sense is going to sign onto that.

KELLY: You, overt there.

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I think we need to separate these people, illegal immigrants into two groups, into law abiding citizens -- not citizens, and to non-law abiding. What happened to that woman in San Francisco was ridiculous. OK? I don't want that happen ever again.

KELLY: Barack Obama said that's what he's doing.

(CROSSTALK)

KELLY: Go, ahead, Katrina.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Factious coming in.

KELLY: Go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I thought it's the United States of America.

KELLY: Go, ahead, Katrina.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Exactly. I mean it's -- there is the rule of law, people. And when you talk about not deporting illegals in this country, you are now saying, you don't want to enforce the law, because you realize that is our current law.

KELLY: But how would it work?

(CROSSTALK)

KELLY: Deportation -- Ethan, a deportation force is going what, door- to-door?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No.

KELLY: And actually rounding him up, putting him in the.

(CROSSTALK)

KELLY: Jeffrey, you can go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It's totally, totally wrong to have a deportation force. The way to approach is very simple. It's called e-verify. Let's enforce the laws that we already have, if you can make it that employer.

KELLY: And make it impalpable for them to stay here.

(CROSSTALK)

KELLY: That's your point. Go ahead (inaudible).

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: If the exceptions are not fair. You are not going to get the mass illegal influx that we currently have.

KELLY: Yeah, but it watches one thing. And what we're gonna do about the existing illegal immigrants?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: And Ted Cruz is exactly right. You know what, in the Dominican Republic, they're building a wall to keep the (inaudible) out. Every country has a border.

KELLY: But the wall is different.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Every country has a border.

KELLY: The wall is different from this -- yeah, in the back. The wall is different from what we're gonna do about the existing illegal immigrants in the country. Go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I mean, forget about the logistics if we can get them out or not. What we have to show and demonstrate, and that is what Trump is doing, is that we're taking a zero tolerance policy. What annoys me, what bothers me is how many of the other candidates are actually pandering and trying to say, well, we're not going to deport you. We'll start compromising. Imagine if like, 11 million gun owners in New York City decided to carry their guns in public? You know, we will be arrested and put in jail. But now because we have 11 million illegal aliens here, we're starting to say hey, even though you broke the law, we're going to deal with you guys, we're going to be sensitive towards the issue. I mean, this is the problem in America.

(CROSSTALK)

KELLY: Yes. Go ahead, Anthony.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Easier than most people think. First, we secure our borders. And then we come up with an amnesty program, 6 months, you have to register. If you can prove to me that you have gainful employment and you haven't committed a crime, you can stay...

KELLY: What about.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: To be a citizen.

KELLY: But what about John Kasich's position there? And I realize John Kasich, this (inaudible) a lot of conservatives over the course of that debate. Right, but what about his point which is -- let's be honest, we're not going to get 11 million people out of the country -- Tom, in the front, go ahead.

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Listen. And I agree with John Kasich's -- do you want this, as well as Jeb Bush. And I'm not Jeb Bush fan as I like watching paint dry. But you know, but I have to agree with them because -- what's mentioned up there, to try to get 11 million people to just bust down the door and get them out of here -- it's not going to happen. I mean, why we don't just be Nazi Germany while we were at it? It is not gonna happen.

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: But if you build a path.

KELLY: Go ahead, (inaudible).

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: To citizenship, that's the more.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: For 11 or 12 million people.

KELLY: Do or do not?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Do not. Even if you are charge $1 per person to be deported, millions of dollars to be out here towards education, national security, even funding American citizens to go to school. So let's face it, I think that Donald Trump has done an excellent job in terms of really bringing immigration to the front run. He has been the only candidate had to be really, really out spoken. And I agree with you.

KELLY: That's what he said. He said we wouldn't be talking this if it weren't for me. In the back, go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: There's a really important generational divide when it comes to this issue. It looks towards the general election because young voters, of course, decided that the general election in 2012, they're going to do it again in 2016 on the national tier for college(ph) republicans really opportunity to do some dial (ph) test last night on this issue. We're going to have to speak in a different way when we're talking about the general election in this issue. Donald Trump is lying about that we're a country of law, scored off the charts with everyone, overall, including millenials. But when we look at positions like Governor Kasich and Governor Bush when they were talking, let's all also scored very positively. So I think it's really important to know that we're gonna have to speak in a different way when we're talking to the general electorate about this issue.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I agree because this wasn't problem with.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: In between what Donald Trump is saying about a deportation force and what the other candidates are saying, but it has to start somewhere. I mean, he is right. This is a country of laws and now people violating the law.

KELLY: Let me ask you this. But let me ask you this, I got a (inaudible). But who here, when it comes to Marco Rubio, because a lot of people are looking at Rubio saying, he had a great debate. And his detractors say, "He was somebody who proves us -- wanted to sponsor immigration reform, and they can't get passed that." And he said, "I learned my lesson and I try to reverse that and I don't that." How many people will hold that effort against him? Where he tried to get comprehensive immigration reform? OK. And how many people say that's not a deal breaker? Any others just don't know.

(LAUGHTER)

KELLY: All right, standby because we have much more to discuss (inaudible). Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton is taking new heat today over how she reacted when a supporter talk to about wanting to strangle Carly Fiorina. Our panel is back in seconds on who is ready to take on Hillary?

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Every time I see her on TV, I want to reach through and strangle her.

(LAUGHTER)

(APPLAUSE)

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KELLY: Breaking tonight, democrat Hillary Clinton is taking new heat after she laughed at a reporter's suggestion that he wanted to strangle her republican rival, Carly Fiorina. The Clinton camp is dismissing the criticism, saying the man was just joking. But critics suggest if a republican had the same reaction to someone threatening Mrs. Clinton, they be in some water. Here's the original exchange in part.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

(LAUGHTER)

(APPLAUSE)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You know -- I know that doesn't sound very nice.

(LAUGHTER)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And I.

HILLARY CLINTON, DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: I wouldn't mess with you.

(LAUGHTER)

(APPLAUSE)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I can tell when she's lying because her lips are moving, you know?

(LAUGHTER)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It's ridiculous with this woman. And then to see her say, that you're a liar, really upsets me.

CLINTON: Yeah. Well, unfortunately, that's the political -- the political season we're in.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KELLY: I want to bring our panel back in, Darren, your thoughts?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: When he was running for office.

KELLY: John McCain.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He was right. Someone stated that Barack Obama was a Muslim. John McCain stopped. He corrected the individual and move forward. It would have been a quick fix. No, it's not OK to strangle this woman. I understand that she had a problem with her. However, at the same took it.

KELLY: He -- but he.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: She' running for president.

KELLY: Does he really mean he wanted to strangle her? Was this is just.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think it was just the same, but.

KELLY: I could have crowned her.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: She's running for president. She needs to be more presidential in moments like that.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Megyn.

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: And I don't think it's a deal. It's one of those things that's gonna happen. And I don't think it's the candidate's place to correct everything that a person says to them. I'm more upset.

KELLY: She was laughing, though. It was more than that correctly.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: That Hillary Clinton is under investigation by the FBI and that she left four Americans die in Benghazi.

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I'll be more offended.

(CROSSTALK)

KELLY: Go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The reality here is you know she's wrong when Joy Behar took her to task over today.

KELLY: Really? Is that (inaudible)?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah.

(LAUGHTER)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: When Joy Behar critiquing Hillary, you know that she's wrong.

KELLY: All right. Let me ask you this. So the other -- I forgot to ask you by the way, how many people think Carly Fiorina won that debate? OK, couple. No -- OK. She had to dust up with Mr. Trump, a couple of them, including -- there was one where he got a little irritated that she kept interjecting himself in other people's exchanges and here's what happened.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

TRUMP: Why does she keep interrupting everybody?

(LAUGHTER)

TRUMP: I'd like to finish my response, basically.

CROWD: Boo.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Enough.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KELLY: So he got booed there.

(LAUGHTER)

KELLY: Did you -- that's where he lost you?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: That's why he lost his way. You know the misogynist scene is really unnecessary. She wasn't interrupting, you know, she was doing what Kasich was doing all evening. So what is the problem? What is the problem?

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He doesn't just do it to women.

KELLY: What makes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He does that to the male candidates, as well.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It's a debate. They're there to explain their platform and to explain their issues. And that's why you saw the booing because every time.

KELLY: He's threatened by her?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: You know what, it finally dawned on me. He's threatened by her. She didn't even look his way. She dismisses him. And I think it bothers him that there is a woman on stage that will dismiss him without giving him any attention and that's.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No, I disagree.

KELLY: Go ahead.

(CROSSTALK)

KELLY: Katrina would like to be heard. The spokesperson would like to be heard in this issue.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Mr. Trump is not threatening by Carly Fiorina. She's been single digits. So I'll say that to start. Secondly, I'm glad he did that because he treats Kasich and Rand Paul the same way.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: He is not going to treat anybody differently. And if you want someone that's going to treat women nicely going after Hillary, good luck with that.

KELLY: Go ahead, Stephen (ph).

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah, I mean, two points. One is a Californian first of all. Fiorina has her share of problems with people, particularly in the bay area because of her performance at HP and at (inaudible) first of all.

KELLY: That's what the guy, who said he wanted to strangle her, had set it up with. They're talking about how he lost his job and others lost their jobs.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: A lot of my listeners, that's what they call in and complain about Carly Fiorina about it. They still harbor those hard feelings. We've got that problem with Rubio with the H-1B visa program, but I want to go back to Trump for just a seconds. We don't really talk about - - I thought he had a very strong debate performance in his subdued way. There's no way he was threatened by Carly Fiorina at all.

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Going back, going back.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Anybody.

KELLY: Go ahead in the back. Go ahead in the back, go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Anybody got insulted by that statement should not be in any presidential debate. If we think that these candidates are gonna be offended by Trump making a little comment, then get off the stage. I mean, imagine what then.

KELLY: What about -- what is do you make it affects -- so later in the debate, they had an exchange over, you know, she said, "I actually met Vladimir Putin and it wasn't a green room, it was actually -- we spoke for 45 minutes." Now, they just speak for 45 minutes, but it was is a green room, right? So she was wrong. She said the wrong thing. But then Trump had said that he met Vladimir Putin in the green room and -- it was 60 minutes and (inaudible) they were in separate continents. So -- Katrina.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes.

KELLY: Why did he say that?

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Literally at his words. He was talking about, you know, I was on 60 minutes with Putin, so I met him.

KELLY: He said, "I met him in the green room."

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yeah, but he wasn't.

KELLY: That's not true?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Right.

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: He was (inaudible) literally. He was like oh, you know, we did a show together.

(CROSSTALK)

KELLY: Have he met him or not?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: No.

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Then why is that matter not OK for Ben Carson, then? Why is that not OK for Ben Carson in a book to then not recall the exact detail? I'm sorry. Then let's level the playing field.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Well, you know.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: If it's good for the good then it's good for them.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: You know why it's not OK.

(CROSSTALK)

KELLY: Go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We're missing the point. Carly and Rubio were very strong against the democrats. I think that's what we need to focus on. They were both very good at it and (inaudible) we kind of.

KELLY: And that is the point which is, who of those -- who we just gone through is the one in your mind -- even it is not your favorite candidate, who do you think is best position to be Hilary Clinton. Go ahead.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Well, I'll tell you. That's one of the things that both Chris Christie in the first debate and Jeb Bush in the second debate capitalize on, is they try to make it not about dividing themselves (inaudible) cannot stand, but about who can be Hillary Clinton. That's why I'll stand with John in saying that Jeb really did make a much better showing in this debate than in prior debates because he really emphasize, it's about winning the White House, not about winning against each other.

KELLY: There you go, John. You got (inaudible) and then I got to go.

(LAUGHTER)

KELLY: You too.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I think that Jeb came also, have done a really great job reaching out to campuses, understanding the millenials and that is really a digital democracy.

KELLY: You weren't with Rubio when he mentioned Candy Crush?

(LAUGHTER)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Speaking of millenials, I thought it was interesting that, you know, student loan issues really didn't get brought up. Like Marco Rubio was the only candidate to brought that up and he's.

KELLY: Right, because he just paid his off.

(CROSSTALK)

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: In that respect, I think that he definitely is the most like relatable candidate that he has during his tenure in Senate. He has presented proposals to make it easier for, you know, recent graduates to pay back their debt.

KELLY: What have you done for me lately? That's a.

(LAUGHTER)

KELLY: All right. Outside that debate hall and the night before Veterans Day, a remarkable moment unfolded when police came across a man, trampling the American flag. Our panel is back on Veterans Day, the military and the republican field.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BUSH: I don't think we need an agitator- in-chief, or a divider-in-chief, we need a commander-in-chief that will rebuild our military and restore respect to our veterans by revamping and fixing a broken veteran's administration. That's my pledge to you. I ask for your support. Thank you.

(APPLAUSE)

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KELLY: Well, as we mark Veterans Day, there was a moment that happened outside of last night's debate that initially sparked outrage. Protesters spotted nearby seen here disgracing the stars and stripes, someone even burning one flag. But then the police stepped in and did something that touched hearts across this nation. They put out the flames and conducted a small dignified ceremony to properly fold the flag to restore honor to it.

Let's take this to our panel now on Veterans Day, there was one exchange about military spending and how robust it should be. Let me start -- raise your hand if you're a veteran here. Yeah, OK. All -- we put them all together. That's how they are. They stick together, shoulder to shoulder, nice, gentlemen. Jim, let me start with you. Whether you feel that overall in all these debates, enough attention has been paid to vets and their issues?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Well, Megyn, there has been about 11 hours of debate and just, you know, small cursory amounts of time paid attention to veterans. I'm a dad of two kids that are now serving in the army. I'm also a combat veteran myself. And for first time, I'm going to vote for their boss, not my own. So, you know, for us to really truly support my children now that are going off into the army, we've got to be economically strong to be able to buy the equipment and the kit -- and the things that they need to protect themselves and to be lethal on the battlefield. We've got to really start talking about that. So, until somebody really comes to me with a plan that says, look, we're going to get back on our feet economically, it is not going to be realistic to me that we're going to be a strong military power. We're right now in a serious drawdown and as well, and a resource constraint situation. Our soldiers are hurting.

(CROSSTALK)

KELLY: Is there a candidate who stands above the others in your mind?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Not right now.

KELLY: Any of you guys?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Not one.

KELLY: No, none of them. None of them has impressed you on military issues so far?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Many of these candidates are making statements in terms -- these statements in terms of how robust they want to make the military, but it costs substantial amounts of money to get this down. It costs roughly a million dollars to send a soldier overseas for a one-year deployment. Where are we getting all its money from? I understand the drawback. However, a lot of these entitlements that we have in government spending need to be pulled back, but haven't heard the candidate state anything specific that's going to make this happen.

KELLY: What do you think? Go ahead, Oscar.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: One of the things I was going to say, the picture of the officer there was very touching. As a veteran and retired law enforcement officer, I state and agree that we live in the greatest country in the world. But one of the things also no candidate has also addressed thus far is talking about veterans, the guys who come home from war, what type of help, what type of aid, mental counseling, all these different things. People go out there, put their lives on the line for this country and then when they come home, the way they're treated, employment, things of those nature, I think people need to step up to the plate and talk more about veterans and helping them.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Right.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Especially all these mental issues and jobs.

KELLY: But not just -- so not just the VA scandal, but what more than that, broader?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Megyn, there's no accountability in the VA. You know, every single democrat on the House Veterans Affairs Committee voted no, against the VA Accountability Act. They're in bed with the union. So the deal is this. We've got to get the DOD and the VA talking to each other. How do you do that? You might be able to advocate for an electronic health record, because right now they don't talk to one other. Veterans right now do not get choices as far as how they schedule their appointments.

KELLY: And they need to.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There are some a lot of things.

KELLY: Got to leave it at that.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: That needs to be done.

KELLY: We'll be right back. Don't go away.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

KELLY: So it's over between us, but we're keeping this panel. And the next segment we're going to do is gonna air on this show on Friday, set your DVR. In the meantime, facebook.com/thekellyfile with your thoughts. Thanks for watching. I'm Megyn Kelly, this is "The Kelly File."

Content and Programming Copyright 2015 Fox News Network, LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Copyright 2015 CQ-Roll Call, Inc. All materials herein are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without the prior written permission of CQ-Roll Call. You may not alter or remove any trademark, copyright or other notice from copies of the content.