Talking Points

Bill O'Reilly: Why most Americans didn't vote in last week's election

Talking Points 11/12


Well, the stats are in, compiled by the University of Florida. And last week's vote had the lowest turnout in 72 years. Just over 36 percent of Americans went to the polls giving the Republican Party a resounding victory as you know. In 43 states, less than half of the eligible voters showed up. Maine had the highest voter participation, Indiana the lowest.

According to exit polling, the vote broke down this way. Women cast 51 percent of the ballots, men 49 percent. 75 percent of the voters were white; 12 percent black; eight percent Hispanic; three percent Asian. Just 13 percent of voters are ages 18 to 29 -- very low turnout; 43 percent of those who voted ages 45 to 64.

According to a new Gallup poll, 53 percent of American adults want Republicans in Congress to lead the nation. Just 36 percent want President Obama to continue leading. It's worth noting that in 2006, 61 percent of the voters wanted the Democrats to lead. Just 31 percent threw in with President Bush.

Now, what's going on? "Talking Points" believes the American public is basically jaded. All the political strife has alienated many voters. They don't like anybody in politics. Also, the machines, the machines are taking people away from reality. As we see with our weekly "Watters' World" segment, some Americans don't know anything. And they don't care to know. They are lost in cyberspace creating phony worlds in which they can escape responsibility.

Do not underestimate how these machines are changing the way Americans participate in the political process. 20 years from now, 20 percent of the population will control the other 80 percent because the machine addiction is just going to get worse. George Orwell was right on.

So these days politicians are playing to a very narrow audience. And unless you have a breakout political guy like Barack Obama who is African- American status caught everybody's attention, Election Day is becoming passe.

However, I do expect heavy interest in a 2016 presidential race because of Hillary Clinton. She is a polarizing figure and could become the first woman to win the presidency. So everyone will know that's in play. But as far as the off year elections, forget about it. Americans have checked out.

And that's “The Memo”.