Today’s mobile technology makes sharing digital photos so easy, you might go an entire year without ever producing a printed photo. But if you're like me, you also like sending actual prints of your family to friends and loved ones during the holidays.
While it's true that if you want to print your photos at home, many all-in-one printers, like these, will do a very good job. However, it can be cheaper to order prints online. In fact, many online photo-printing services, like the ones listed below, have special offers and promotions available right now. So, check out some of ways you can save money, and then be sure to visit the websites, since these services continually update their discounts. Note the expiration dates on all offers and be sure to read the fine print before you finalize any order to make sure you're actually getting the right discount.
Discounts & Deals
Here are some of the deals we found for five leading photo-finishers.
- Snapfish: For its Cyberweek sale, you'll get 70 percent off all orders of $200 or more, and 60 percent off any other order on the site. It also offers 61 percent off 5x7 flat stationery cards and 50 percent off premium card sets. Also, if you refer a friend who joins Snapfish, you can earn a $10 credit (when he or she makes a purchase of more than $10). New customers get 100 free 4x6 prints.
- Shutterfly: You'll get free economy shipping on printed orders of $49 or more. Shutterfly has additional offers on other gifts, including getting one free photo card and $5 off gift wrap and 16x20 prints. Plus, new customers get 50 free 4x6 prints, one free magnet, and one free set of address labels.
- Walgreens: Save 50 percent on photo-card orders of $25 or more, 40 percent on photo calendars and 30 percent on other photo gifts. You'll also find offers on same-day pickup of various photo orders.
- Walmart: Get 30 percent off 5x7 folded cards and 20 percent off custom-cover books; save up to 30 percent off calendars. New customers get 25 free 4x6 prints.
- CVSPhoto: You'll save 40 percent on photo-card orders and 30 percent on photo books. If you order 100 4x6 prints or more, each print is just 10 cents.
These aren't the only online photo-printing services available. You can check the bargains at other photo finishers as well, including Adorama, MPix, and York Photo.
Tips When Ordering Photos Online
Most online photo printers offer other photo-related products in addition to prints. Also, you can get your prints in a variety of sizes. Here are some tips to consider when ordering online.
- Don't settle on a photo format too quickly. You pictures can be printed in a variety of formats (such as folded or flat) and can have different finishes, such as matte or glossy. Some services let you choose from a variety of premium card stocks. So take your time to choose a keepsake you'll really like.
- Try ordering straight from your phone. There's no need to first transfer images to a computer: Many photo-printing and photo-sharing websites have mobile apps.
- If you're in a rush, look into expedited or even same-day delivery, available from some services. Of course, you can save money if you choose standard delivery. And in some cases, you can even get free shipping.
Copyright © 2005-2015 Consumers Union of U.S., Inc. No reproduction, in whole or in part, without written permission. Consumer Reports has no relationship with any advertisers on this site.