Sat., Jan. 1 at 3 p.m. & 8 p.m. ET
Hosted by John Stossel
Politicians make promises and brag about the results of their work of seen benefits, but they ignore the unintended consequences and unseen harm of their laws. Politicians promised that:
10. "Cash for clunkers" would save the auto industry. Instead, it increased the costs of used cars (the ones that poor people buy), decreased charitable donations and just moved auto sales from other months into July and August
9. Increasing the minimum wage would guarantee everyone better pay, but it ended up killing jobs
8. Title IX would end discrimination against women in sports, but instead it has taken sports away from both men and women
7. Big projects like stadiums, arenas and conference centers will create jobs. Instead, they steal money from the local grocery store
6. Politicians manipulate the tax code to "save small farmers" and "save the environment" but instead create an explosion of alpacas and give rich people like Stossel free golf carts
5. Credit card reform would save us from horrible bank fees, but "reform" led to higher credit card interest rates and less credit for the poor, which drove them to worse forms of credit
4. The health care bill would give us cheaper more comprehensive health care, but instead it's causing insurance companies to stop offering health insurance altogether
3. Ethanol would relieve our dependence on foreign oil and save the environment, but instead it's increased the cost of food, done more damage to the environment and to taxpayers.
2. Politicians said more home ownership was good for America, but their subsidies created a bubble that made life worse
And tune in for the number one promise gone wrong!