A paralyzed man was eaten alive by maggots in his bed while his partner slept beside him.

The 61-year-old stroke victim died in an ambulance on his way to hospital in Vienna, Austria, on Tuesday.

His back had been partly devoured.

Paramedics notified police after discovering the squalid conditions he was living in.

His 34-year-old partner was questioned and said the man "had not wanted to be washed for a long time."

Local police said the couple had been together for around a decade and the victim's partner had slept in the same bed as him right up until his death.

Click here to read more from The Sun.