L.A. Nursing Home Fined $100,000 for Patient Death

The state has fined a Los Angeles nursing home $100,000 because a patient died after a feeding tube was incorrectly directed into his lungs.

The California Department of Public Health investigation found that an 84-year-old male patient at the Hancock Park Rehabilitation Center had a feeding tube enter his body through his nose in May 2008. The tube was supposed to direct nutrition to his stomach.

The man died 13 days after being transferred to a hospital, with a cause of death listed as respiratory failure due to pneumonia. Officials said the failure to properly place the feeding tube was the cause of death.

Hancock Park spokeswoman Dr. Melody Chatelle says the incident was regrettable but declined further comment because the fine is under appeal.