Teen Dies on Prom Night After Eating Peanut Butter

A California teen died on her prom night from an allergic reaction after accidentally eating peanut butter.

A candlelight vigil was held for 17-year-old Yla Aquino Tuesday in her community of Chino Hills.

Classmates from Chino Hills High school gathered to share stories about Aquino, who staff regarded as a shining example of a student and individual.

Approximately 150 people in the U.S. die each year from food allergies, according to the National Peanut Board’s Web site. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening type of allergic reaction that is most commonly fatal. Symptoms can include cause hives, difficulty breathing, swelling of the air passages, heart palpitations, and slurred speech.

Click here to read more from CBS 2.