The Jordanian triple agent behind the December homicide bombing that killed eight CIA agents in Afghanistan claims in a new video that he lured American and Jordanian intelligence officers into a fatal trap by sending them misleading information about terror targets, and videotapes he had made of senior Al Qaeda leaders.

Humam Khalil Abu-Mulal al-Balawi, a Jordanian doctor who killed seven CIA agents and his Jordanian handler in the attack also claims in the posthumous tape that he intended to kidnap only one Jordanian intelligence officer, but the unexpected opportunity to attack a large group of Americans was too good to pass up.

"It wasn't planned this way," al-Balawi says in an undated, 44-minute videotape released on Sunday by as-Sahab, the media arm of Al Qaeda. According to The Washington Post, al-Balawi attributes the change to "the stupidity of Jordanian intelligence and the stupidity of American intelligence" services that invited him to Afghanistan to help set up a strike against Al Qaeda targets.

The CIA had invited al-Balawi to their base in Khost, eastern Afghanistan, believing he was about to divulge the whereabouts of bin Laden’s deputy, Ayman al- Zawahiri.The consequent attack was the deadliest blow against the CIA since 1983, and wiped out in one go most of their foremost experts on Al Qaeda.

The video, which has not yet been authenticated, is the second recorded statement to surface in which al-Balawi talks of his plan to penetrate the CIA's Forward Operating Base Chapman. In January al Qaeda claimed that in his will al-Balawi said he was avenging the death of Baitullah Mehsud, a Taliban commander killed last year in a CIA missile strike.

In the new video, al-Balawi describes his journey from doctor to suicide bomber, at one point brandishing what he says is a block of C4 military explosive that he planned to use in the attack.

Continue reading at The Times of London