Sixteen Americans are confirmed dead in the wake of Tuesday's devastating earthquake in Haiti, the U.S. State Department said Sunday.

The victims include 15 private American citizens and one U.S. government employee, the department said.

The U.S. Embassy in Haiti, meanwhile, has reported that at least 70 Americans remain unaccounted for.

An embassy spokesman told NewsCORE on Sunday that up to 400 people have been sleeping inside the U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince each night.

The spokesman added that 2,000 US citizens have been evacuated.

Approximately half of the houses used by U.S. Embassy staff in Port-au-Prince have been destroyed.

U.S. officials said Sunday that the international urban search and rescue teams have rescued 62 individuals so far — mostly Haitians. As of Sunday morning, the teams had performed 29 live rescues, including rescuing people trapped inside a collapsed food market.

SLIDESHOW: Devastation in Haiti | HOW TO HELP | FULL COVERAGE

LIVESHOTS: Click here to get the up-to-date coverage from Fox reporters at FoxNews.com's LIVE blog.

NewsCORE's Sean Plambeck contributed to this report.