RENO, Nev. – Investigators say the accidental discharge of a World War II-era flare gun ignited a fire that heavily damaged a home in Reno.
A man who lived in the house was inspecting the flare gun when it went off just before 11 a.m. on Monday.
Reno fire spokesman Steve Frady says the man and a woman who also lived there escaped with a pet cat unharmed.
The blaze gutted the garage and destroyed two vehicles inside. It extended into the attic and destroyed most of the roof before two dozen firefighters snuffed it out.