Connecticut Doctor Accused of Inseminating Patient With Own Sperm

A Connecticut doctor is under fire after allegations surfaced that he substituted his own sperm for that of a patient's husband to conceive their twins.

The shocking claim against Dr. Ben Ramaley, of Greenwich — made in a 2005 lawsuit that was later settled — and the slap on the wrist health officials gave the fertility doctor for using sperm other than the husband's, has sparked a probe by Connecticut's attorney general.

The office of Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal is investigating the complaint. Ramaley has denied the allegations.

Stamford lawyer Lindy Urso, who was looking into the case, blasted the state Health Department for failing to order the doctor to take a DNA test to see whether he is the twins' biological dad. Urso also said it should have been referred to the AG for possible prosecution.

In 2002, the unidentified Connecticut couple went to Ramaley, 62, for help conceiving, court records show.

Ramaley performed several artificial inseminations on the woman, supposedly with her husband's sperm, records show. She became pregnant with twin girls.

"After their birth, [the couple] were surprised at the very fair complexion of the twins, because [the husband] is African-American and [the wife] is Caucasian," court records state. "In March 2004, DNA testing performed at the suggestion of the twins' pediatrician showed that [the wife] was the mother but that [the husband] was not the biological father."

The couple sued Ramaley in 2005 claiming that the doctor "intentionally inserted his own sperm into" the wife, causing her to become pregnant. The suit was quickly settled out of court with a gag order imposed.

But when the state Public Health Department learned of the case, it investigated Ramaley, and found he had "inseminated the female patient with the wrong man's sperm," according to department records.

Read more on this story from the New York Post.

For more news, entertainment and sports coverage, click here for