Two NATO soldiers are missing in western Afghanistan from a routine resupply mission, the alliance said Friday.

The two were reported missing on Wednesday, NATO forces headquarters in Afghanistan said in a statement. It did not specify their nationality or which province they had been in, or provide any details of the resupply mission.

"We continue exhaustive search and rescue operations to locate our missing service members," spokeswoman Navy Capt. Jane Campbell said in the statement. "We are doing everything we can to find them."

Their families have been notified, and no further information will be released while the rescue operation continues and the incident is being investigated, the statement said.

NATO forces operating in western Afghanistan are mainly from Italy, Spain, the United States and Lithuania.

In July, an American soldier was captured in eastern Afghanistan. A statement posted later on the Taliban's Web site said the soldier had been captured by the group.

Separately, NATO said two American service members were killed Thursday by a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan. The statement gave no further details.

The deaths bring to three the number of U.S. service members killed in the Afghan war so far this month. October was the deadliest month of the eight-year war for U.S. forces with 59 deaths reported.