Published November 05, 2009
The following is unedited information about Fort Hood in Texas.
Fort Hood Quick Facts
A 340 square mile installation (217,337 acres), Fort Hood is the only post in the United States capable of stationing and training two Armored Divisions.
The rolling, semiarid terrain is ideal for multifaceted training and testing of military units and individuals. Fort Hood is "The Army's Premier Installation to train and deploy heavy forces."
In addition to the 1st Cavalry Division and 4th Infantry Division, Fort Hood is also residence for Headquarters Command III Corps, 3d Signal Brigade, 3d Air Support Operations Group, 13th Corps Support Command (COSCOM), 13th Finance Group, 21st CAV Brigade (Air Combat), 89th Military Police Brigade, 504th Military Intelligence Brigade, the Dental Activity (DENTAC), the Medical Support Activity (MEDDAC), U.S. Army Operational Test Command (USAOTC), and various other units and tenant organizations.
A Brief History
Fort Hood was named for the famous Confederate Gen. John Bell Hood, an outstanding leader who gained recognition during the Civil War as the commander of Hood's Texas Brigade.
The original site was selected in 1941, and construction of South Camp Hood began in 1942. North Camp Hood, located 17 miles to the north, was established shortly after the first land acquisition and the founding of the cantonment area.
South Camp Hood was designated as Fort Hood, a permanent installation, in 1951.
North Camp Hood became North Fort Hood and what is now West Fort Hood was formerly a U.S. Air Force Base. Both the airfield and the base were run by the U.S. Air Force from 1947 to 1952.
From 1952 to 1969, the facilities were run by the U.S. Army under the Defense Atomic Support Agency. It became part of Fort Hood in 1969.
Fort Hood is adjacent to Killeen , Texas in the beautiful "hill and lake" country of the Great State of Texas.
Fort Hood is located approximately:
- 50 miles Southwest of Waco
- 60 miles Northeast of Austin
- 150 miles Northeast of San Antonio
- 160 miles South of Dallas / Fort Worth
- 180 miles Southeast of Abilene
- 180 miles Northwest of Houston