A school district in England must pay $30,000 to a 16-year-old girl who lost all but two fingers in a horrific plaster of Paris accident.

The girl's hands became stuck in a bucket of plaster of Paris during an art lesson in January 2007.

The accident happened while she was attempting to make a sculpture of her own hands during the lesson at Giles School in Boston in Lincolnshire, England.

Neither classmates, staff, nor paramedics could remove her hands as they began to cook from inside the mold at temperatures of up to 140 degrees.

The attorney representing the unnamed girl, Stephen Hill, told Boston Magistrates' Court it was as if his client's fingers were in a microwave oven.

She was eventually freed after paramedics at Nottingham City Hospital used power tools to break through the plaster.

Plastic surgeons did what they could to help her but after 12 operations she was left with no fingers on one hand and just two on the other.

Hill described his client, who hopes to go to college, as a "remarkable young woman."

"She is doing remarkably well considering the devastating injuries she did suffer" he said. "But she is a very stoical. She is a very determined, self sufficient character but she is now only left with one forefinger and an index finger."

Click here to read more on this story from Sky News.