Delaware Psychiatric Patient Dies After Drinking Cleaning Fluid

Health officials say a Delaware Psychiatric Center patient has died after drinking cleaning fluid.

Health and Social Services Secretary Rita Landgraf said Friday that the young man, who was expected to be discharged this week, died Aug. 27 at Wilmington Hospital.

Landgraf says poison control told staff that the fluid was not toxic and the patient should gargle with water. But as a precaution he was taken to the hospital, where he later died.

Drinking the fluid was part of the man's condition, Landgraf says, and is not believed to have been an attempt to harm himself. Officials are waiting for toxicology reports and the Medical Examiner's Office final report on the cause of death.

Landgraf says the man's family and seven regulatory bodies that oversee the center were notified before the man's death was made public.