EDINBURGH, Scotland – Britain has scrapped a visit to Libya by Prince Andrew amid controversy over the release of the Lockerbie bomber.
The prince has visited the country several times in his role as a British trade ambassador, and his office said last week that a trip for next month was in the planning stages.
But Buckingham Palace said Monday there were no plans now for the prince to visit Libya.
Last week Scottish officials released convicted Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi on compassionate grounds because he is dying of cancer. In all, 270 people died in the 1988 airline bombing.
British officials say Libya promised he would be given a low-key welcome. But he was greeted at a Tripoli airport by hundreds of people waving Libyan and Scottish flags.