ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – A St. Petersburg man is being treated at a hospital after falling ill from a chlorine gas cloud that formed when he mixed bleach and household products to make a stronger bathroom cleaner.
Fire officials say 44-year-old Michael Newton was taken to Bayfront Medical Center in stable condition Thursday morning. He was complaining of shortness of breath and irritation to his lungs and eyes.
Newtom told firefighters he combined bleach and a household cleaner that contained ammonia for a stronger cleaner. He was overcome by the gas and called 911.
Firefighters used fans to air out the house and washed the bathroom walls for 30 minutes with fresh water.
The fire department says mixing any product that has ammonia with bleach creates chlorine gas that can cause illness and even be fatal.