Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger spoke for the first time Thursday since rape allegations surfaced stemming from a year-old incident with a woman at a Nevada hotel-casino, and he came out swinging.
"I did not sexually assault Andrea McNulty," he said in a Pittsburgh press conference. "Her false and vicious accusations are an attack on my family and on me. I am going to fight to protect my family and my reputation."
Roethlisberger declined to answer any questions, and said he would not address the case with the media in the future.
"I will respond to her allegation in the appropriate forum," he said, placing his faith in the judicial system.
McNulty, a 31-year-old from Nevada, filed a civil lawsuit alleging the Super Bowl-winning quarterback raped her in a hotel penthouse last year.
Roethlisberger's lawyer vehemently denies the allegations.
Law enforcement officials in Nevada said Wednesday that McNulty did not file a criminal complaint after the alleged incident and they do not intend to open an investigation into the matter.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.