A 22-year-old factory worker died Wednesday after he fell into a vat of boiling chocolate at a manufacturing plant in New Jersey, police said.
The Camden County prosecutor's office identified the victim as Vincent Smith II. He was a temporary worker at the Cocoa Services Inc. plant.
Smith had been in the melting pot for about 10 minutes by the time rescue crews arrived, MyFOXPhilly.com reported.
Prosecutor's spokesman Jason Laughlin says a co-worker tried to shut off the machine and two others tried to pull Smith out of the 8-foot-deep vat. He was hit and fatally injured by the agitator that mixes the chocolate.
By the time he was pulled out of the tank just after 11 a.m., he was already dead.
The plant is owned by Lyons and Sons.
The cause of the accident was not immediately known. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration was called in to investigate, MyFOXPhilly.com reported.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.