Hawaii Firefighters Cause Blaze at Own Station

Oahu firefighters have been issued a reminder to be sure to turn off cooking equipment when responding to emergencies.

The advice comes in the wake of a May 22 blaze at the Waipahu fire station that caused about $25,000 damage.

Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. Terry Seelig says food was inadvertently left cooking on a stove when the firefighters responded to an emergency call involving a traffic accident.

He says after finishing the call, the firefighters responded to a call at their own station house.

Seelig says like everyone else, firefighters need to be careful and attentive when cooking.

According to Seelig, the fire caused smoke and heat damage, primarily to kitchen areas that had been scheduled for renovation. He says the damage has been repaired.