A new Rasmussen poll on President Obama is somewhat startling and worth analyzing because Rasmussen is very accurate.
According to the data, 34 percent of Americans strongly approve of the president's job performance, while 32 percent strongly disapprove. So that's why the debate over Barack Obama is so raucous. He may be a popular guy, but the country remains divided on the job deal.
Also, 73 percent of Americans now expect government spending to rise. That's up from 54 percent last November.
But get this: Just 69 percent say Barack Obama is a political liberal. What? Where are the other 31 percent? Oh, they think he's a moderate or something.
Are you telling me that a third of the country doesn't know the president is a liberal guy? Can that be possible? Sadly, the answer is yes.
The president presents himself as a moderate, a man who believes in tradition and a free market place. But that is not who the president really is, and his voting record, his appointments and his vision for the country prove it.
President Obama really believes the federal government has an obligation to insure a certain quality of life for everyday Americans. He really believes he can convince the world to help us fight evil people by using logic and reason. He really believes that evil people should not be compelled to divulge information, even in life-death situations. He really believes that wealthy Americans owe a large chunk of their prosperity to other folks not as prosperous. And he really believes social engineering, not self-reliance, should be the theme of government.
Those are all liberal tenets, but apparently 31 percent of Americans do not know this.
Now, there is nothing wrong with having a liberal belief system. But the president's job is to solve problems and keep us safe, and herein lies the problem.
The best example I can give you is national security, your personal safety. By reversing the Bush anti-terror policies, Mr. Obama has tied the hands of American counter-intelligence agents. No longer are they on the offensive. Some experienced agents have quit; others are phoning it in.
According to Stratfor, the USA is reverting back to the failed counter-intel policies before we were hit on 9/11. The enemy well understands the shift in American policy and is stepping up terror activity in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan, while at the same time Iran and North Korea continue to give the world the middle finger.
So presidential rhetoric aside, the unintended consequences of the president's first 100 days have dramatically altered the terror battlefield. No question.
The president is a sincere man. I believe that. But I do not believe he truly understands evil, and his liberal policies will have a very hard time containing it. Wait and see.
And that's "The Memo."
Pinheads & Patriots
The late Tony Snow got me involved with the Wounded Warrior Project, a charity set up to help military people and their families who need assistance getting their lives back together.
Thursday at the White House, President Obama, Secretary of Defense Gates and other dignitaries kicked off the Soldier Ride Tour, where wounded vets cycle to raise money for this very worthy charity. All involved here are patriots.
On the pinhead front, remember the Tom Cruise movie "Top Gun"? It co-starred actress Kelly McGillis. Well that was then and this is now. Ms. McGillis says she is looking for a few good women. She's a lesbian, and told a Web site: "I'm done with the man thing."
As they say, different strokes… but I still believe that people who put their private lives out there for consumption are pinheads.
— You can catch Bill O'Reilly's "Talking Points Memo" and "Pinheads & Patriots" weeknights at 8 and 11 p.m. ET on the FOX News Channel and any time on foxnews.com/oreilly. Send your comments to: email@example.com
Bill O'Reilly currently serves as the host of FOX News Channel's (FNC) The O'Reilly Factor (weekdays 8PM/ET), the most watched cable news show for the past 13 years. He joined the network in 1996 and is based in New York. Click here for more information on Bill O'Reilly.