EUGENE, Ore. – A Eugene extermination company has been fined $4,550 for illegally applying pesticides at the home of a Florence woman who died from cardiac arrest.
Swanson's Pest Management fumigated an elderly couple's home in June 2005.
After returning a few hours later, 76-year-old Florence Kolbeck died and her husband was hospitalized with breathing problems. Emergency responders also became ill.
The Environmental Protection Agency says a worker who had failed his licensing exam seven times sprayed too much pesticide and failed to properly ventilate. The agency says the fine is the maximum allowed under the law.
Joan Jensen, Swanson's operations manager, told KLCC radio that the company is not at fault and disagrees with the EPA's judgment.
Swanson's settled a $2.5 million lawsuit filed by Kolbeck's husband.
Information from: KLCC-FM, http://www.klcc.org/