A man who killed five people and injured 13 in an attempt to kill members of the Dutch royal family died Friday, one day after the attack, according to media reports.
The suspect, a 38-year-old identified by Dutchmedia as Karst Tates, had been in critical condition since the attack during the Netherlands Queen's Day holiday Thursday.
Dutch authorities said a military policeman also died of injuries he received when Tates smashed his car through police barricades and into a crowd of spectators.
Military police commander Lt. Gen. Dick van Putten said the officer became the sixth victim of the Tates' attack.
Before his death Tates reportedly confessed to police that his actions were aimed at the royal family.
Tates rammed his car into the foot of a monument after mowing down people gathered for the annual royal procession in the central city of Apeldoorn.
Click here for photos.
Other injured victims remain in the hospital after Tates drove through police barricades towards the bus carrying members of the royal family.
It is believed his vehicle had been stopped and turned back earlier in the day by police.
But it remains unclear how he was able to breach security and charge through barriers, police lines and the crowds and almost reach the royal parade itself.
Queen Beatrix, who witnessed the event, told the nation in an unscheduled televised address that she was "speechless that something so terrible could have happened."
Official celebrations were cancelled in many areas, and the national flag was flown at half mast at the royal palace at Apeldoorn.
Tates had given up his house in the Gelderland village of Huissen because he could no longer afford the rent, Dutch newspaper the Telegraaf said.
TV footage showed his black Suzuki Swift, with its roof and bonnet already crumpled from smashing through police barriers, racing past the royal bus in bright sunshine and slamming into a column.
Other film showed bodies being hurled into the air and members of the royal family covering their faces in shock and dismay.
"I think that it has become clear that this happened with premeditation," Dutch Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende said.
Shortly before the attack, the Queen, her son Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and his popular Argentine-born wife, Princess Maxima, had walked up to the crowd behind police barricades, accepting flowers and shaking hands.