Nurse in U.K. Mistakes Fabric Softener for Infant's Milk

A nurse in Britain fed a premature baby potentially-deadly fabric softener instead of milk, The Sun reported Wednesday.

The toxic Comfort Pure was poured into the newborn boy’s stomach via a feeding tube in a mix-up after his mother brought in the liquid to add to his blankets.

Staff only realized the mistake after he frothed at the mouth and started vomiting in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

Fabric softener contains chemicals called surfactants that can be fatal to humans.

Bosses at Luton and Dunstable NHS Hospital blamed the baby's mother for bringing in the Comfort in a baby bottle.

But Tuesday a furious nurse said colleagues should have double checked before using it.

"It was stupid of the parent to bring in fabric softener in a baby’s bottle to give to nurses," the baby unit source said. "But this is a worried mother who wanted to make sure her baby had soft blankets. For a nurse to pick up an unlabelled bottle and not check it is also negligent."

The blunder happened last Thursday evening at the hospital in Luton, Beds.

The local NHS Trust said in a statement: “Some fabric conditioner which was put in a baby’s feeding bottle by a mother may have been fed to her baby.

“As a precaution, the hospital sought the advice of the National Poisons Unit and the good news is that the baby experienced no lasting ill effects.”

Click here to read more on this story from The Sun.