North Korea's state-run media reported Tuesday that Kim Jong-Il shed tears of regret during the country's controversial rocket launch because he could not use the launch funds to provide aid to his people, the AFP reported.

The country on Tuesday also released footage of the weekend launch, along with the first video of Kim since his reported stroke in August, according to South Korean media.

Kim "felt regret for not being able to spend more money on the people's livelihoods and was choked with sobs," AFP quoted ruling communist party paper Rodong Sinmun as saying.

"Chants of jubilation are reverberating throughout the country on the news that our satellite is beaming back the 'Song of General Kim Il-Sung' and the 'Song of General Kim Jong-Il,'" the paper said, according to AFP.

State-run television aired video of an apparently healthy leader mingling with farmers and watching bears at the zoo.

What the TV didn't show was just as notable: footage of the "Dear Leader" during the 3 1/2 months after he is believed to have suffered a stroke that sparked fears of a succession crisis in the poor, nuclear-armed nation.

Click to view photos | Satellite image of the launch area

Kim, 67, is expected to make a triumphant public return when he presides over the first session of the country's new parliament Thursday for re-election as chairman of the powerful National Defense Commission.

North Korea claims Sunday's rocket launch shot a satellite into space, where it allegedly is playing melodious odes to Kim and his late father, who founded the reclusive communist country.

The U.S. and South Korea, however, say the rocket's second and third stages fell into the Pacific Ocean with the payload still attached. They say the launch was a cover for testing long-range missile technology.

Exclusive footage obtained Tuesday by APTN in Pyongyang showed a white rocket with "Chosun," the name North Koreans use for their country, emblazoned on the side in red. The 20-second clip shows the rocket blasting off, then blazing eastward across the sky.

Pyongyang citizen Ri Yong Hwa told APTN the launch was "a great, auspicious event for the nation that displays the spirit and merit of 'military first' Korea."

State-run TV called the launch a success and a "great inspiration" to its people.

The U.S., South Korea and Japan are leading a campaign at the U.N. Security Council to censure Pyongyang for the launch, saying it violated resolutions barring the country from firing rockets and other ballistic missile activity. North Korea claims it is entitled to the peaceful use of space and plans to launch more satellites.

Japanese Foreign Minister Hirofumi Nakasone said the Security Council must make North Korea "pay for the act of provocation."

The launch will be a hot topic at this weekend's East Asian Summit attended by China, South Korea, Japan and the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations. Japan and South Korea want a strongly worded statement condemning the launch, but China — the North's closest ally — will almost certainly try to temper it.

Though the U.S. and South Korea say the rocket's payload fell into the Pacific, the rocket traveled 1,900 miles — twice as far as anything the North previously sent up.

"It's much more of a loss than a success," said Tim Brown, a senior fellow at the security analyst group Globalsecurity.org. Still, he added, "every launch, even if it's a failure, they learn something from it."

FAST FACTS: A Glance at North Korea's Missile Arsenal.

Click to read the Korean War Armistice Agreement.

The launch also will give Pyongyang an extra bargaining chip at stalled six-nation talks aimed at persuading North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons program in exchange for aid.

North Korean television Tuesday also showed new images of Kim, who has led the nation of 24 million people with absolute authority since his father died in 1994. It was believed to be the first video of Kim since he fell from public view in mid-August and reappeared in early October, with the only images on TV coming in still photos.

U.S. and South Korean officials say Kim suffered a stroke in mid-August; North Korea has denied it.

The hourlong broadcast documented Kim's "on-the-spot field guidance," showing him mingling with livestock farmers and workers making machinery, soap and medicine. He also was shown watching bears frolicking at the Pyongyang Zoo, touring a folk village and arriving at a concert to cheers and applause.

The documentary showed Kim in early August, then jumped to Nov. 24 footage of a factory visit. The video ended with a Dec. 24 visit to a steel factory.

Analysts say the launch was designed to rally support for Kim as he prepares to formally ascend to his third term amid speculation about who will succeed him.

"At a minimum, he had a serious health scare," said Korea affairs expert Peter M. Beck. "Authoritarian, totalitarian regimes are at their most vulnerable in transition periods, and none of his (three) sons seem up to the task of ruling the country any time soon."

Click here to read the AFP report.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.