An astonishing X-ray shows how surgeons saved a man's life when he swallowed a pair of scissors.

Kong Lin had borrowed a four-inch long pair of nail scissors as a toothpick after a meal, but as one of his pals told a joke, 27-year-old Lin laughed and swallowed the clippers, which got stuck in his throat.

PHOTOS: Outrageous Injuries

At first he tried to cough them up, but the points were facing upwards and wedged themselves deeper into his flesh, becoming lodged in his esophagus.

"When he came in, his face was twisted, pale, and sweating,” explained Chen Wei, a surgeon at the emergency hospital in Putian, which is in eastern China. "The patient was having difficulty swallowing, and blood was mixed with his saliva."

“The entire surgery took around 30 minutes. Luckily Mr. Lin does not have much of a wound left inside his throat,” Chen said.

Click here to see an X-ray and read more of this story from The Sun.