PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Investigators say a high school freshman who died in a fire at his family's Cranston home was storing containers of gasoline in his bedroom.
Kyle Mather, a 15-year-old freshman at Cranston High School East, died in the March 16 fire that was contained to his bedroom.
State Fire Marshal Jack Chartier said on Thursday that Mather "liked to play with fire" and also had several cigarette lighters in his room.
He said there was no evidence that the fire was deliberately set and no information that the boy intended to harm himself or anyone else.
Vapors escaping from the gas containers may have sparked the blaze.
The teen's mother and sister escaped with minor injuries.